Minnesota United Signs Forward Juan Agudelo
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United today announced the club has signed forward Juan Agudelo as a free agent. Agudelo has signed a one-year contract with Minnesota, with a club option for an additional year.
"The crazy thing about Juan [Agudelo] is, you forget he's just 28. He seems to have been around for years and I go back to Juan, all the way back to the beginning of Orlando," said Minnesota United Head Coach Adrian Heath. "He was going to go to England, Stoke City, and he was trying to get the paperwork through. He came in and asked if he could train for a week. Six weeks later he was still training for us, so we have got a little bit of a connection there. We just think he's going to be another really valuable squad player for what's going to be another really hectic year with the condensed program schedule, and for us to bring somebody in who we know can play in the MLS, play three or four positions, he can play through the middle, he can play wide right, wide left. Nothing is going to faze him. He had a really good impact last year when he played for Inter Miami. I think it's a really good pick up for us."
Agudelo joins Minnesota United after playing the 2020 season with Inter Miami CF, where he played 14 games and scored three goals. Prior to joining Miami, Agudelo played the bulk of his MLS career with the New England Revolution, making 156 regular season appearances, scoring 35 goals and registering 16 assists over the course of six seasons. He helped guide the club to the playoffs in 2013, 2015 and 2019.
The Colombian-American forward began his professional career in 2010 as a Homegrown Player for New York Red Bulls, playing his first two seasons in New Jersey. In his time with the club, he made 33 regular season appearances, totaling six goals and two assists. Internationally, the Colombian-born Agudelo has represented the United States at various age levels, having moved to the U.S. at the age of seven. He made appearances for the U17, U20 and U23 teams before earning senior call-ups. In total, Agudelo has earned 28 senior appearances. He made his debut in a 2010 match against South Africa and scored the game's only goal, at the time becoming the country's youngest ever goal scorer in a senior game.
MNUFC returns to the pitch for its fifth season in MLS. Follow Minnesota United's social channels and check our website at mnufc.com for regular updates on the club.
Transaction: Minnesota United sign forward Juan Agudelo as a free agent. Includes a one-year contract with a club option for an additional year.
Date of birth: 11.23.1992 (28 years old)
Weight: 183 lbs
Birthplace: Manizales, Colombia
Citizenship: United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 2, 2021
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called to U23 USMNT Training Camp - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United Opens 2021 Preseason - Minnesota United FC
- KSE Statement on Fans Returning to Ball Arena and DICK's Sporting Goods Park - Colorado Rapids
- Philadelphia Union Announce Technical Staff Changes - Philadelphia Union
- New York City FC Unveils 2021 Ã¢ÂÂBronx Blue' Primary Kit and Celebrates NYC Heroes - New York City FC
- LAFC Announces 2021 Preseason Training Camp Ahead of Club's Fourth MLS Campaign - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Unveil Community Kit - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Premier Club Membership Now Available for Sale to the General Public - Nashville SC
- Whitecaps FC Reveal 2021 Hoop Jersey - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Minnesota United Signs Forward Juan Agudelo - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Unveils the Community Kit for 2021 Season - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC Unveils Kit Inspired by World-Class New Crew Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 to Seattle in Season Opener
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2021 Season Opener
- Minnesota United FC at Seattle Sounders Preview
- Minnesota United Announces Technical Staff Hires
- Minnesota United Announces Bally Sports North and the CW Twin Cities as Broadcast Partners for 2021 Season