Milwaukee Eludes Iowa 2-1
MILWAUKEE, WI - The Iowa Wild (29-24-6-2, 66 points) were defeated by the Milwaukee Admirals (36-20-3-3, 78 points) 2-1 on Friday night in front of 4,269 fans at the UWM Panther Arena. Milwaukee goalie Marek Mazanec (20-13-3) carried a shutout into the final 12 minutes of the game, finishing with 25 saves for the victory. Despite 29 saves on 31 shots from goalie Alex Stalock (19-13-7), Iowa saw its four-game points streak come to an end. Milwaukee's Justin Florek and Pontus Aberg each picked up a goal in the team's fourth straight win over Iowa. Wild forward Sam Anas scored the team's lone tally in the loss. Iowa hosts Milwaukee in Des Moines at 6 PM on Saturday.
The Admirals struck for the first period's only goal at 7:03 when Justin Florek beat Iowa goalie Alex Stalock with a one-timer in the slot. Milwaukee's Mike Liambas sent a cross-ice pass in the Iowa zone to the left-wing circle for Derek Army, who quickly centered for Florek. The Admirals forward sent a shot past Stalock for his ninth goal of the year and a 1-0 lead after one period of play.
Milwaukee's lead grew to 2-0 with a power-play goal by Pontus Aberg at 5:20 of the middle frame. The Admirals worked the puck over to the left-wing circle for Aberg. Defenseman Alexandre Carrier and center Mike Ribeiro each had a hand on Aberg's 24th goal of the year. Aberg fired a shot from the circle that banked off a skate of an Iowa defender for the two-goal cushion.
Iowa closed the gap after Sam Anas was pulled down on a breakaway 8:34 into the third period. Anas beat Marek Mazanec for his 11th goal of the season, slipping a forehand shot around the Admirals netminder for the 2-1 score.
Iowa returns home to play the Milwaukee Admirals on Saturday, Mar. 18 at 6 PM at Wells Fargo Arena. The St. Patrick's Day game features a postgame concert with Gaelic Storm, sponsored by 100.3 The Bus, Jim Beam and My Satellite Guy. VIP packages are available starting at $20. The first 1,500 fans to the game receive an Iowa Wild Irish themed hat, sponsored by 95 KGGO and LIUNA. In a partnership with Jim Beam and NASH FM, fans 21 and older are able to purchase the "The Big Ginger" drink special. It is also Jim Beam Night. Subway Combo Packs are available for purchase at the game. Brewdog packs are also available for purchase at the game, presented by Legends American Grill and Bud Light. The Wild will also don St. Patrick's Day themed specialty jerseys for the game. The team wears the specialty jerseys for all three home games in March, culminating with a live postgame jersey auction on Saturday, Mar. 31.
2016-17 Iowa Wild regular season single-game tickets are on sale now. Follow the Iowa Wild on Twitter @IAWILD or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/iawild.
The Iowa Wild 2016-17 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center: and runs from October through April. Fans may purchase seats to see any of the team's 38 regular season home games at Wells Fargo Arena. Season tickets to see the Wild play its 2016-17 season at Wells Fargo Arena start at just $10 per game. For more information on tickets, including ticket plans and group seating, please contact the Wild ticket office by calling 515-564-8700 or go to www.iowawild.com.
Fans may purchase single-game tickets multiple ways, either through the team's website - www.Iowawild.com, the Wells Fargo Arena box office or participating Hy-Vee food stores. Tickets are available online at www.Iowawild.com under the single game tickets tab. The Wells Fargo Arena box office is open Monday - Friday from 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. and closed on Sunday. For Saturday game days, the box office will open at 10 a.m. For Sunday game days the box office will open at 12 p.m. Fans may also purchase tickets by calling 1-844-55-HYVEE or by visiting participating Hy-Vee food stores locations in the greater Des Moines area. Those interested may also visit www.hy-veetix.com. Fans interested in buying full-season tickets, or smaller season packages may call the Iowa Wild front office at 515-564-8700.
-- IOWA WILD --
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2017
- Kevin Roy Scores Overtime Winner, Gulls Defeat Rampage 2-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Milwaukee Eludes Iowa 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hershey Bears 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 3 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters Shot Down by Stars, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- McINTYRE TAMES TIGERS AS P-BRUINS WIN 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- McCormick Scores Twice in 4-2 Loss at Toronto - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Comets, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- RECAP | IceCaps Sink Amerks 3-1 on St. Paddy's Day - St. John's IceCaps
- Erik Condra Named Syracuse Crunch Captain - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Stefan Fournier to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Manitoba Moose Moose to Welcome Five Millionth Fan - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Sign Forward Max French to Ato - Utica Comets
- Promotional Advisory: Griffins Host IceHogs on '90s Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Aim for Six Points in Huge Weekend Series - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Sign Hobey Baker Finalist Kelleher to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- News HURRICANES ASSIGN WALLMARK TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins Sign Forward Troy Josephs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Checkers Collide Today Over - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.