Mercury Sign Free Agent Guard Shey Peddy to Roster
As the Mercury move into the second half of the 2020 WNBA season in Bradenton, Fla., Phoenix will add a new face to its roster after signing free agent guard Shey Peddy today. Peddy was waived by the Washington Mystics on Monday but remained inside the WNBA Bubble, allowing her to join the Mercury immediately. The addition of Peddy brings the Mercury's roster to 11 players.
A 5-9 guard, Peddy appeared in the Mystics' first nine games of the 2020 season, averaging 3.6 points, 1.2 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 12.8 minutes of action at IMG Academy. She posted her best all-around game in Washington's season opener on July 25 against Indiana, finishing with career highs in points (10) and rebounds (four) to go along with two assists and two steals off the bench.
Peddy was selected by the Chicago Sky with the 23rd overall pick in the 2012 WNBA Draft, but made her WNBA debut a season ago with the Mystics where she appeared in 15 games as a reserve. She holds a career average of 2.4 points in 24 career games and has yet to miss a free throw, as she'll join Phoenix 18-for-18 from the charity stripe.
A graduate of Temple University, Peddy played her final two seasons of collegiate basketball for the Owls after spending her first two years at Wright State. She started in 65 of the 66 games she appeared in during her time at Temple and finished with career averages of 15.8 points. 5.0 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game. Peddy was named the Atlantic 10 Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year during her senior season after leading the conference in scoring at 17.6 points per game.
The Phoenix Mercury return this summer in search of a league-record tying fourth WNBA title at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, the Official Home of the 2020 WNBA Season. Led by the All-Star trio of Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner and Skylar Diggins-Smith, the Mercury continue its title quest on August 19 against the Los Angeles Sparks at 7 p.m. Phoenix time. While the surroundings may be unfamiliar and the stands may be empty, this moment and this season is #4TheValley. For more information, visit PhoenixMercury.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 19, 2020
- Postgame Notes: Atlanta 91, Washington 98 - Atlanta Dream
- Game Preview: Fever and League-Leading Storm Face off for First Time this Season - Indiana Fever
- Mystics Postgame Notes - Washington Mystics
- Game Preview: Aces Look to Get Back on Winning Track Thursday vs. Connecticut - Las Vegas Aces
- Mercury Sign Free Agent Guard Shey Peddy to Roster - Phoenix Mercury
- Mystics Ink Gemelos - Washington Mystics
- WNBA and Facebook's Oculus Tip off Partnership with 20-Game Regular Season Schedule on Oculus Venues and Facebook Watch - WNBA
- New York Liberty 8/18 Postgame Notes vs. Seattle - New York Liberty
- Aces Seven-Game Winning Streak Comes to An End In, 84-82, Loss to Sky - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Mercury Stories
- Diana Taurasi, Skylar Diggins-Smith Named to All-WNBA Second Team
- Bria Hartley Begins Therapy on Knee
- Survive and Advance: Mercury Moves on to Round 2 with Win over Washington, Will Face Minnesota
- Win Or Leave the Bubble: Mercury, Mystics in Round 1 of Playoffs
- Mercury Clinch Fifth Seed in 2020 WNBA Playoffs