Mayhem Ride Career Performance from Charlie Finn to Victory
Charlie Finn makes career-high 52 saves in 3-2 overtime win
MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem defeated the Evansville Thunderbolts 3-2 in overtime tonight, riding a career-high 52-save effort from goaltender Charlie Finn and a two-goal night from Stathis Soumelidis to victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Evansville got out to a roaring start in the game, as Nick Lazorko scored 42 seconds into the game to give them the 1-0 lead. That lead held for the rest of the first period, as the Thunderbolts dominated the period - outshooting Macon 15-7.
The Mayhem rallied to score two goals in the second period and take the lead into the third period. Darren McCormick scored on a power play one-timer, assisted by Stephen Pierog and John Siemer. Just seconds later, Stathis Soumelidis scored on a rebound to take the one-goal lead. Seth Ronsberg and Chris Izmirlian collected the assists.
With under five minutes left in the third period, Bo Driscoll scored for Evansville to tie the game and send it to overtime. In overtime, Soumelidis evaded a couple of defenders and scored by Evansville goaltender Tomas Sholl to give Macon the 3-2 victory.
Charlie Finn started for the first time since December 8, 2017, and he picked up his first victory since November 25, 2017 against the Knoxville Ice Bears. He stopped a career-high 52 shots on 54 attempts to earn his fifth win of the season.
Stathis Soumelidis scored his 10th and 11th goals of the season, and he scored his first game-winning goal since November 11, 2016 against the Knoxville Ice Bears. Stephen Pierog also had a multi-point night, recording his 14th and 15th assists of the year.
Chris Izmirlian extended his point streak to six games, as he has two goals, seven assists and nine points in his first six games in a Macon uniform. Soumelidis extended his point streak to five games.
Other players to record points tonight were Darren McCormick - one goal, John Siemer - one assist, Seth Ronsberg - one assist, and Brandon Pfeil - one assist.
"What a performance from Charlie Finn. He played confidently, and kept us in the game the whole game. We didn't get as many offensive opportunities as we would've liked, but when we did, we took advantage of them."
STARS OF THE GAME
1. Stathis Soumelidis (2 goals, game-winning goal)
2. Darren McCormick (1 goal)
3. Charlie Finn (54 saves on 56 shots, 2 goals allowed)
Macon Mayhem: 14-6-4 (32 points)
Evansville Thunderbolts: 13-7-4 (30 points)
BACK IN ACTION
The Mayhem travel to Huntsville on Saturday, January 6th to take on the Havoc. They are not back in town until Friday, January 19th against the Pensacola Ice Flyers.
Single game tickets are on sale through the Macon Coliseum Box Office or at ticketmaster.com.
For information on group tickets and ticket plans, visit MaconMayhem.com or call the Mayhem Front Office at (478) 803-1592.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2018
- Comeback Lands Just Short - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mayhem Ride Career Performance from Charlie Finn to Victory - Macon Mayhem
- ROANOKE CLAWS PAST PENSACOLA IN A SHOOTOUT, 5-4 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Daniel Vernace scores in Rail Yard Dawgs loss - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Mayhem Prevail in Defensive Battle with Roanoke - Macon Mayhem
- Stephen Pierog Returns from Loan to Atlanta Gladiators - Macon Mayhem
- RiverKings Sputter, Fall to Pensacola 6-4 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RAIL YARD DAWGS GAME: Roanoke Falls in Peoria, 6-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Offense Sputters as Marksmen Fall to Mayhem - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (5-11-3) at Rivermen - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- RiverKings Roll Rivermen, 5-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RAIL YARD DAWGS GAME RECAP: Dawgs Edged by Evansville in Overtime, 4-3 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Clarke's Overtime Heroics Lift ThunderBolts over Dawgs - Evansville Thunderbolts
- High-Scoring Mayhem Kept at Bay in 2-1 Loss to Pensacola - Macon Mayhem
- Marksmen Use the Force to Earn Star Wars Night Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (5-11-2) at ThunderBolts (11-5-2) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Macon Mayhem Stories
- Mayhem's Season Comes to an End with 3-2 Overtime Loss to Huntsville Havoc
- Mayhem Game Notes: President's Cup Semi-Finals Game #3
- Mayhem Fall 8-2 to Havoc, Face Series-Deciding Game Three Friday Night
- Mayhem Take Game One of President's Cup Semi-Finals with 6-4 Victory over Huntsville
- Mayhem Game Notes: President's Cup Semi-Finals (Mayhem at Havoc)