High-Scoring Mayhem Kept at Bay in 2-1 Loss to Pensacola
MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem's top-ranked offense was kept at bay Friday against the Pensacola Ice Flyers, as the team fell 2-1 at home.
Just one goal was scored in the first period, as the Pensacola Ice Flyers exited the period with the 1-0 lead. The Mayhem answered right off the bat in the second period however, as Jake Trask scored just 41 seconds into the frame. Newcomer Chris Izmirlian and Seth Ronsberg picked up the assists on the goal.
Pensacola clapped back just about midway through the third period, as Jessyko Bernard scored the game-winning goal to give the Ice Flyers the 2-1 win. Macon had their chances, as they outshot Pensacola 37-25 in the game - including a nine-to-three margin in the third period.
Greg Dodds was handed his first loss of the season in a Mayhem uniform, but he played well, allowing just two goals on 25 shots from Pensacola.
The Mayhem fall to 6-5-1 at the Macon Coliseum this season, and when the opposing team scores first, the Mayhem are now 2-6-2. Macon is now 3-2-4 this season in one-goal games, and they are 1-5-1 this year when they score three or less goals.
After two seasons where the Mayhem went a combined 13-3-2 against the Ice Flyers, they are just 1-3-0 this season against them.
Chris Izmirlian was yet another player to produce in his first game in a Macon uniform, as he tallied an assist in his Mayhem debut - his 10th assist in 16 SPHL games this season.
KERR'S COMMENTS: "I thought we battled hard tonight, but we just couldn't get the job done. We had our chances, especially in the third period, but we just couldn't take advantage. Tough loss, but there's a lot of good that we can take from this game."
SEASON UPDATE: Macon Mayhem: 9-6-4 (22 points). Pensacola Ice Flyers: 14-4-1 (29 points).
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2018
- Comeback Lands Just Short - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mayhem Ride Career Performance from Charlie Finn to Victory - Macon Mayhem
- ROANOKE CLAWS PAST PENSACOLA IN A SHOOTOUT, 5-4 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Daniel Vernace scores in Rail Yard Dawgs loss - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Mayhem Prevail in Defensive Battle with Roanoke - Macon Mayhem
- Stephen Pierog Returns from Loan to Atlanta Gladiators - Macon Mayhem
- RiverKings Sputter, Fall to Pensacola 6-4 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RAIL YARD DAWGS GAME: Roanoke Falls in Peoria, 6-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Offense Sputters as Marksmen Fall to Mayhem - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (5-11-3) at Rivermen - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- RiverKings Roll Rivermen, 5-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RAIL YARD DAWGS GAME RECAP: Dawgs Edged by Evansville in Overtime, 4-3 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Clarke's Overtime Heroics Lift ThunderBolts over Dawgs - Evansville Thunderbolts
- High-Scoring Mayhem Kept at Bay in 2-1 Loss to Pensacola - Macon Mayhem
- Marksmen Use the Force to Earn Star Wars Night Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (5-11-2) at ThunderBolts (11-5-2) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.