MAYHEM GAME RECAP: Mayhem Blow Two-Goal Lead in Overtime Loss to Knoxville
KNOXVILLE, TN- The Macon Mayhem took a two-goal lead into the third period against the Knoxville Ice Bears on Saturday, but the team ultimately fell 5-4 in overtime on the road.
Mayhem forward Chris Izmirlian started the scoring against his former team, as he gave Macon the early 1-0 lead in his first game against Knoxville after being traded to Macon from Knoxville on December 19th. Knoxville rallied with a pair of goals from Anthony Flaherty and Berkley Scott to take the 2-1 lead. Daniel Echeverri scored in the final minute of the first period to tie the game up, assisted by Izmirlian and Jake Trask.
The Mayhem scored two more unanswered goals in the second period to take the 4-2 lead. Stathis Soumelidis began the scoring, while Darren McCormick scored for his fifth consecutive game to take the two-goal lead. Knoxville defenseman Michael Chen scored a power play goal to cut the Mayhem lead to one.
Knoxville's Stefan Brucato scored the lone goal of the third period to tie the game with under seven minutes to play. Knoxville would then score the game winner about halfway through overtime. Garrett Clemment picked up the puck wide open in the slot and scored to win it in overtime.
NOTABLE STATS: Troy Passingham started in net for the Mayhem, falling to 5-3-3 on the season. He saved 37 of the 42 shots he faced in the game. Chris Izmirlian collected two more points in the game, as he now has four goals, 12 assists and 16 points in nine games for the Mayhem. Jake Trask tallied two assists to bring his season-total to 23. He leads the Mayhem with 37 points on the season. Darren McCormick extended his goal-streak to five games, which is a Mayhem team-high for the season.
The Mayhem took the lead in the second period, but they were not able to hold it. When they lead after two periods, they are now 11-0-2 on the season. This game marks the first time the Mayhem have blown a two-goal lead and lost in overtime since November 24, 2017 against the Fayetteville Marksmen.
SEASON UPDATE: Macon Mayhem: 15-7-5 (35 points; 3rd Place). Knoxville Ice Bears: 15-10-2 (32 points; 5th Place).
BACK IN ACTION: The Mayhem finish out the weekend on Sunday afternoon, as they travel to Pensacola to take on the Ice Flyers at 4:05 PM CST. They return to the Macon Coliseum to take on Pensacola on Friday, January 19th and Saturday, January 20th.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- ThunderBolts Burn RiverKings, 5-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Can'T Control Havoc, Fall 4-0 - Mississippi RiverKings
- ThunderBolts Get Revenge on Rivermen, Win 3-2 - Evansville Thunderbolts
- MAYHEM GAME RECAP: Mayhem Blow Two-Goal Lead in Overtime Loss to Knoxville - Macon Mayhem
- RAIL YARD DAWGS GAME RECAP: Dawgs Out-Gunned by Marksmen, 4-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Marksmen Earn Their Badges with Scout Night Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (9-15-3) vs Marksmen - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- RiverKings Shutout Ice Bears, 3-0 - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Macon Mayhem Stories
- Leo Thomas Tabbed as New Mayhem Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations
- Kevin Kerr Steps Down from Role with Mayhem to Accept Another Coaching Opportunity
- Mayhem's Season Comes to an End with 3-2 Overtime Loss to Huntsville Havoc
- Mayhem Game Notes: President's Cup Semi-Finals Game #3
- Mayhem Fall 8-2 to Havoc, Face Series-Deciding Game Three Friday Night