ThunderBolts Get Revenge on Rivermen, Win 3-2
Evansville, Ind - Despite leading 3-1 and 4-3 in Peoria in the third period last night, the Thunderbolts fell in a shootout to the Rivemen, 5-4. Tonight, the Thunderbolts took their revenge against Peoria on Ford Center ice, beating the Rivermen 3-2.
Once again, the Thunderbolts started strong, as they took a 2-0 lead in the first period. Sean Reynolds would notch his first SPHL goal at 8:50 to make it 1-0, unassisted, before Nick D'Avolio would get some revenge after all the abuse he has taken from his former comrades, making it 2-0 from Jackson Leef and Tyler Vankleef at 10:08. Tonight was also Leef's first game back after a 20 game call-up stint with the ECHL's Brampton Beast, where Leef tallied a goal and two assists. Frank Schumacher would extend the lead, scoring in his third consecutive game, on the power play at 12:44 of the second period to make it 3-0 from Dave Williams and John Scorcia. Alec Hagaman would try to get his Rivermen teammates pumped up with a fight in the opening minute of the third period, scrapping with Mark Petaccio only 25 seconds in. The Rivermen would gain momentum as a result, and score soon after. Will Smith would break the shutout at 6:23 from Jacob Barber and Mike Gurtler. Minutes later at 10:39, the lead would be cut to 3-2 as Dakota Klecha scored from Cody Smith and Barber. This time however, that would be as close as the Rivermen would come, and the Bolts would hold on for their second win against Peoria this season.
For Evansville, Schumacher, Reynolds and D'Avolio scored a goal each and Sholl made 25 saves on 27 shots for the win. The Bolts play next tomorrow afternoon against the Mississippi RiverKings at 3 p.m. CST and then host the Birmingham Bulls next Friday and Saturday night.
About Evansville Thunderbolts: The Evansville Thunderbolts is the area's only professional hockey team. The Thunderbolts are a proud member of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL). The team is owned and operated by VW Sports, L.L.C, a subsidiary of VenuWorks, Inc.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- ThunderBolts Burn RiverKings, 5-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Can'T Control Havoc, Fall 4-0 - Mississippi RiverKings
- ThunderBolts Get Revenge on Rivermen, Win 3-2 - Evansville Thunderbolts
- MAYHEM GAME RECAP: Mayhem Blow Two-Goal Lead in Overtime Loss to Knoxville - Macon Mayhem
- RAIL YARD DAWGS GAME RECAP: Dawgs Out-Gunned by Marksmen, 4-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Marksmen Earn Their Badges with Scout Night Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (9-15-3) vs Marksmen - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- RiverKings Shutout Ice Bears, 3-0 - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.