RiverKings Shutout Ice Bears, 3-0
SOUTHAVEN, Miss. - The Mississippi RiverKings get back on the winning side at Planters Bank Ice at Landers Center, knocking off the Ice Bears, 3-0. Tyler Green made 33 saves in the win for his first shutout of the season.
The RiverKings needed answers on offense tonight, after the SPHL's leading scorer and RiverKing, Dillan Fox, was called up to the Reading Royals of the ECHL earlier today.
Harrington proved to be the offensive spark the RiverKings needed. In the first minute and a half of the second period, the forward blew past the Knoxville defense before centering a pass to CJ Hayes who scored from point-blank range to give the RiverKings a one-goal advantage. It was Hayes' second career goal.
Harrington continued his form through the second period and doubled the RiverKings lead with only one minute left to go in the second period. Shane Bennett capped off the night with an empty-net goal late in the third to give the RiverKings the 3-0 lead.
The defense for the RiverKings was also a factor in tonight's 3-0 win. Coming into tonight, Knoxville average nearly four goals per game and are second in the SPHL in scoring. Mississippi goaltender, Tyler Green was unfazed by the Ice Bear's high-scoring offense. Green turned away 33 shots in the 3-0 shutout over Knoxville. The win marks Green's first shutout of the season and extends his league-leading win tally to 12.
Defender Kristaps Bazevics was on the ice for all three goals and received bookend assists on the opening and the final goals. Defenders Richard Coyne and Jake Shultz played meaningful minutes and were a part of the power-play kill that held Knoxville scoreless on all four power-play opportunities.
The win puts the RiverKings season points total at 28. They are tied with the Huntsville Havoc for sixth in the SPHL and sit two points behind Knoxville for the fifth spot.
Mississippi is back in action tomorrow night on the road versus the Havoc, before heading to Evansville on Sunday. They'll have one day rest before welcoming Knoxville back to Planters Bank Ice at Landers Center on Tuesday to cap off four games in five days.
About the Mississippi RiverKings: The RiverKings are supported by our community partners, season ticket holders, fans, and grants from Maddox Foundation, an independent private foundation based in Hernando, Mississippi.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- ThunderBolts Burn RiverKings, 5-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Can'T Control Havoc, Fall 4-0 - Mississippi RiverKings
- ThunderBolts Get Revenge on Rivermen, Win 3-2 - Evansville Thunderbolts
- MAYHEM GAME RECAP: Mayhem Blow Two-Goal Lead in Overtime Loss to Knoxville - Macon Mayhem
- RAIL YARD DAWGS GAME RECAP: Dawgs Out-Gunned by Marksmen, 4-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Marksmen Earn Their Badges with Scout Night Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (9-15-3) vs Marksmen - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- RiverKings Shutout Ice Bears, 3-0 - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.