Mavs Big Second Period Highlights 3-2 Win over Rapid City
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks (21-17-2-1) defeated the Rapid City Rush (17-23-4-3) by the score of 3-2 Tuesday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Seven different Mavericks had their name on the scoresheet by the end of the night and goaltender Mason McDonald stopped 26 of 28 Rapid City shots.
Rapid City broke the seal on the scoring 14:34 into the opening period on a goal from Cedric Montminy. Richard Coyne and Josh Elmes assisted on the goal. Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald racked up 12 saves on 13 shots by the Rush in the first period, while the Mavericks were outshot by Rapid City, 13-9.
The Rush doubled their lead early on in the second period on a goal from Chris Leibinger at the 3:48 mark. Pierre-Luc Mercier and Dylan Quaile assisted on the goal. The Mavericks appeared to tie the game at the 14-minute mark of the second period, but the referee determined that Rush goaltender Adam Carlson was interfered with in the crease just before the shot was taken by Mavericks defenseman Brett Beauvais. Kansas City ended up tying the game shortly after on a goal from Corey Durocher. Willie Raskob and Darian Dziurzynski were given the assists on the tying goal. The Mavericks took the lead with just over a minute to go in the middle period on a goal from Jared VanWormer. Raskob got his second assist of the game on the goal and Joey Sides was also credited with an assist on the goal.
The Mavericks held off the Rush in the final frame, preserving their 21st win of the season with the help of Mason McDonald, who stopped all eight Rapid City shots in the third period.
The Mavericks continue their home stand this Friday and Saturday against the South Carolina Stingrays at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Faceoff for both games will be 7:05 p.m. All center ice and terrace tickets are buy one, get one free. Please visit kcmavericks.com/government for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 29, 2019
- Mavs Big Second Period Highlights 3-2 Win over Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bad Bounce Burns Oilers against Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Transactions - January 29 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Acquire Alexander Kuqali - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Forward John McCarron Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- Florida's McCarron Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Walleye School Day Game Time Changed - Toledo Walleye
- Former Vermont Captain Darrar Signs with Royals - Reading Royals
- Preview: 'Blades Host Jacksonville, Gun for Fourth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Matt Tomkins Nabs ECHL Goaltender of the Week Honors - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Tomkins Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Darryl Williams Named Growlers Assistant Coach - Newfoundland Growlers
- Tip-A-Grizz on February 12th - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.