Mavericks Trade for Defenseman Andrew Davis
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Friday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has acquired the rights to defenseman Andrew Davis from the Wichita Thunder in exchange for future considerations.
Davis, 28 (6/11/81), is entering his 5th season having played 160 of his 176 professional games in the CHL. The Nepean, Ontario native recorded 15 points (3-12=15) and 135 penalty minutes in 41 games with the Thunder last season. The 6-foot-0, 195-pound defenseman has a total of 60 points (12-48=60) and 466 penalty minutes in the CHL with the Thunder, Odessa Jackalopes and Memphis RiverKings.
"Andrew is a very hard working, gritty defenseman," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "He plays physical, skates very well and moves the puck efficiently. I believe that Andrew has the ability to be a 30-point defenseman in this league as well as have the maturity to take care of his own end. We are extremely excited that we were able to complete our first trade in order to get a player that we believe will make a real impact. Our fans will really enjoy Andrew's style of play."
In order to complete the trade, the rights of a player to be named after the season will be traded to the Thunder.
Players signed for the Mavericks' 2009-10 inaugural season are as follows:
Forwards Defensemen Goaltenders
Jeff Christian Shaun Arvai Mike Gorman
Travis Kauffeldt Tyler Fleck Doug Groenestege
Carlyle Lewis Doug MacIver
Bill Vandermeer Travis Martell
The Mavericks opening weekend at the brand-new Independence Events Center is November 13-14 against the Wichita Thunder. Season tickets are on sale now starting at $352, and group tickets start as low as $10 per person. The Mavericks 32-game home schedule can be found at www.MissouriMavericks.com. For more information, call the Mavericks' front office at (816) 252-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from September 11, 2009
- Sundogs Finalize 2009-10 Arizona Sundogs Youth Hockey Program - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans, Brahmas Announce Preseason Games - Allen Americans
- 'Bugs Announce Preseason Games vs. Mississippi - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Exhibition Game, Pre-Season Camp Schedule Released - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mavericks Trade for Defenseman Andrew Davis - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceRays Sign Forward Boisclair - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Goaltender Whitley has solid showing for Red Wings at NHL Prospects Tournament - Allen Americans
- IceRays Announce Preseason Schedule - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Hold On, Held's Back As A RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.