Mavericks Sign Scott Allen and Andrew Johnston
INDEPENDENCE, MO (Sept. 1, 2015) - The Missouri Mavericks announced Tuesday afternoon that they have signed left wingers Scott Allen and Andrew Johnston to standard player contracts ahead of their 2015-16 season in the ECHL.
The Mavs released the announcement of their two latest player signings in a surprise video interview with Coach Matvichuk earlier in the day.
"We are excited to welcome Scott to the Mavericks this fall," said Richard Matvichuk, Head Coach & Director of Hockey Operations for the Missouri Mavericks. "I spoke with his university coach at length, and he's a hard-working player who improves every day. We really think he can excel at this level and we're happy to work with him to develop his professional career."
Scott Allen recently completed his fourth year playing for the University of Alaska-Anchorage, finishing his 2014-15 season with the Colorado Eagles. Allen played nine games in an Eagles sweater, notching his first point in his professional career. The 6'3" left wing hails from Edmonton, Alberta.
"I am very excited for this opportunity and look forward to a successful season with the Mavericks," said Allen. "I have heard great things about the Kansas City area and I cannot wait to start the year."
"Andrew has the speed that we will need in our lineup this fall," said Coach Matvichuk, "He's got skill with the puck and has proven that he can play at this level and the next. Our fans are going to really enjoy watching him on the ice this fall."
Andrew Johnston will join the Mavericks this fall having spent the majority of his last season with the Reading Royals (ECHL) and fourteen (14) games with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms of the American Hockey League (AHL). Johnston made additional appearances with the Phantoms during his 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons. The twenty-four year old left winger resides in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
"I am very excited to be a part of the Mavericks this upcoming season," said Johnston. "I have heard nothing but great things about the organization and the fan support. I am really looking forward to being part of a winning team in Missouri this year."
The Mavericks begin their 2015-16 campaign on the road in Anchorage, Alaska for their first-ever matchup against the Alaska Aces. Fans interested in making the trip north with the Mavs can contact our partners at Cruise Planners at email@example.com or 816-796-9400 for a special Mavs travel package!
The Mavericks will play longtime rival, the Wichita Thunder, in their home-opener on Saturday, Oct. 24 at Independence Events Center. Season Tickets and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Missouri Mavericks at 816-252-7825 to speak with a ticket representative.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 1, 2015
- 'Blades Bolster Blue Line with Addition of Cornell and Montgomery - Florida Everblades
- Mavericks Sign Scott Allen and Andrew Johnston - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Acquire Rights to All-Star Defenseman - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Bring Back Scorer Brenden Walker - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Acquire Scoring Ace Belzile - Fort Wayne Komets
- Elmira Jackals in the Community - Elmira Jackals
- Thunder Announce Ticket Pickup Party - Adirondack Thunder
- Eagles Captain Daavettila Returns for Fourth Season - Colorado Eagles
- Thunder Announce Timeline to Purchase Individual Tickets - Wichita Thunder
- Defensemen Haar, Nagy Sign Contracts for 2015-16 - Alaska Aces
- Idaho Adds Big Forward to the Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel Announce 2015-16 Promotional Calendar - Indy Fuel
- Swamp Rabbits Return Toughness in Emerson Clark - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Ready to Celebrate Fifteenth Anniversary Season on CBS SportsRadio in Reading - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.