Mavericks Henrik Odegaard Makes Norway Olympic Roster
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' defenseman, Henrik -degaard, has been named to the 2014 Norwegian Olympic Ice Hockey Team and will compete in the Winter Games in Sochi this coming February.
-degaard was originally assigned to the Mavericks by their American Hockey League affiliate, the Chicago Wolves, at the top of the season. The talented defenseman has been an integral part of the Mavericks blue line from day one, and continues to expand his game and grow his confidence on the ice. Mavericks Head Coach Scott Hillman says he and his coaching staff are proud to have played a role in -degaard's development as a player as he makes his final preparations for competing on the grand stage of the Winter Olympics.
"It is an incredible honor for an athlete to compete for his country, and now Henrik will have a huge support system of fans right here in Kansas City cheering for him as he squares off against some of the very best players in the world," says Hillman.
One of seven defensemen who will join team Norway in Sochi, -degaard will take his place with his new teammates in Group B of the ice hockey seeding, amongst Finland, Austria, and the defending gold medal winners from Canada.
"Henrik is one of the most physical and most explosive defensemen in the Central Hockey League. He is an absolute nightmare for opponents to play against because of his attention to detail, speed, and physicality," says Hillman.
His teammates and the staff will wish him the best of luck when it comes time to head overseas. "We are extremely proud of Henrik and are excited to watch him in Sochi," says Mavericks President Brent Thiessen. "We know he will perform at his best in representing his home country of Norway and the Missouri Mavericks right here in Independence, and wish him great success."
The Mavericks play their next two games at home in a back-to-back weekend series against the Rapid City Rush on Friday, January 10th and Saturday, January 11th at the Independence Events Center. The first 1,500 fans through the doors on Friday night will receive a Mac bobble head! Tickets are available at ticketmaster.com and at the box office.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 7, 2014
- Missouri's Odegaard to Play in Olympics for Norway - CHL
- Chill Third Period Comeback Bested by Beast - St. Charles Chill
- Sundogs Present Pink in the Rink, February 1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Cutthroats Update - Denver Cutthroats
- Quad City's Thomas Heemskerk Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Mallards' Heemskerk Named Oakley Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Week - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards, Genesis Team up for Game Worn Jersey Auction Saturday Night - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Henrik Odegaard Makes Norway Olympic Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.