Mavericks Face Wichita Tonight in Decisive Game 5
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - After a thrilling 2-1 victory over the Wichita Thunder Tuesday night at INTRUST Bank Arena in Wichita, Kansas, the Missouri Mavericks return home for a fifth and deciding game against their archrivals tonight at Independence Events Center at 7:05 p.m. The best-of-five series is deadlocked at 2-2 and the winner of tonight's contest will move on to the Turner Conference Semifinals, while the loser's season will come to an end.
Tickets for tonight's game are available by calling (800) 745-3000, visiting www.Ticketmaster.com or going to the Independence Events Center Box Office.
"We have to find energy. They're tired we're tired. That's the way it goes," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "Our fans will be the difference for us. We're going to lay it on the line tonight."
The Mavericks gained home ice advantage for the opening round by finishing in fourth place in the Central Hockey League's Turner Conference and now look to take advantage of the extra home game awarded to them in the series. This will be the first time in franchise history the Mavericks will play a deciding playoff game at Independence Events Center. It will be the second time in team history the Mavs have played in a deciding playoff game. The Mavs won game three of a best-of-three series last season against the Mississippi RiverKings to advance to the second round of the CHL playoffs.
The Mavericks and Wichita have developed a bitter rivalry after the Mavericks dominated the first year of the all-time series, going 10-0-0 against the Thunder last season. This season, the Mavs went 4-5-2 against Wichita in the regular season. The average margin of victory in each regular season game between the two teams in 2010-11 was less than two goals.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2011
- Mudbugs Eliminate Arizona From Playoffs - Arizona Sundogs
- Aikins, DeCaro Lift Mudbugs into Second Round - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Komets Sweep PrairieThunder in Opening Round - Fort Wayne Komets
- Eagles Eliminate Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Game Five Comeback Ends in Heartbreak - Wichita Thunder
- Eagles Advance With Game 4 Win Over Quad City - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Season Comes To An End With 6-3 Loss At Fort Wayne - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Brennan Recalled by Chicago Wolves - Allen Americans
- Bucks Send out Survey to Fans - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Face Wichita Tonight in Decisive Game 5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Announce Round Two Home Dates - Allen Americans
- RiverKings Mascot Does Downtown Time Thursday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Re-Take Series Lead in Game 3 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Hire Overland Park Native Kohl Schultz as Assistant Coach
- Mavericks Re-Sign Big Blueliner Neal Goff for 2019-20
- Mavericks Announce Date, Times for 2019 Fanfest
- Kyle Hood Resigns as Mavericks Assistant Coach
- Mavericks Acquire Offensive Defenseman John Furgele in Futures Trade with Atlanta