Eagles Eliminate Mallards
MOLINE, Ill. (April 6, 2011) - The Colorado Eagles eliminated the host Quad City Mallards from the Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Playoffs by defeating the Mallards 3-2 Wednesday night . With the win, the Eagles took the best-of-five opening round series between the two clubs three games to one.
The Eagles surged into the lead by scoring three straight goals after the Mallards jumped in front just one minute and 27 seconds into the game when Joel Gasper buried Zac Pearson's centering pass.
Colorado's Steve Haddon pounced on a rebound to wrist a power play equalizer home at 15:11 of the first period.
Scott May's drive from the high slot snapped the 1-1 deadlock at 4:46 of the second period. Kevin Ulanski scored what proved to be the game winner on a penalty shot at 14:47 of the second after being taken down while breaking in alone.
Obi Aduba brought the Mallards back within one with 6:42 left in the third period by crashing the net and jamming the puck home, but the Eagles held off the Mallards the rest of the way, even after Quad City pulled goaltender David Brown (29 saves) for an extra attacker late in the contest.
About the Quad City Mallards The Quad City Mallards proudly took to the ice for their first "AA" Central Hockey League (CHL) season in 2010-11. All Mallards home games are played at the i wireless Center. The Mallards competed in the United Hockey League (UHL) from 1995 through 2007 and in the International Hockey League (IHL) in 2009-10. The Mallards' proud history has seen them capture the UHL's Colonial Cup Championship three times (1997, 1998, 2001) and secure that league's Tarry Cup four times (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002) for the best overall regular season record. In 2001, the Mallards made professional hockey history, recording their sixth consecutive season with 50 or more wins, a feat that has yet to be matched. For more information on the Quad City Mallards fans should visit www.MyQCMallards.com. Fans can also follow the Mallards via Twitter at twitter.com/myqcmallards and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/quadcitymallards.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2011
- Mudbugs Eliminate Arizona From Playoffs - Arizona Sundogs
- Aikins, DeCaro Lift Mudbugs into Second Round - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Komets Sweep PrairieThunder in Opening Round - Fort Wayne Komets
- Eagles Eliminate Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Game Five Comeback Ends in Heartbreak - Wichita Thunder
- Eagles Advance With Game 4 Win Over Quad City - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Season Comes To An End With 6-3 Loss At Fort Wayne - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Brennan Recalled by Chicago Wolves - Allen Americans
- Bucks Send out Survey to Fans - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Face Wichita Tonight in Decisive Game 5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Announce Round Two Home Dates - Allen Americans
- RiverKings Mascot Does Downtown Time Thursday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Re-Take Series Lead in Game 3 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings