Mudbugs Re-Take Series Lead in Game 3
PRESCOTT VALLEY, AZ - The Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs scored three third-period goals to secure a 5-1 victory over the Arizona Sundogs in Game 3 of their Opening Round playoff series Tuesday night at the Tim's Toyota Center. The win gives Bossier-Shreveport a 2-1 lead in the best-of-five series and a chance to close out the Sundogs Wednesday night in Game 4.
Shawn Limpright, Jeff Kyrzakos and Steven Crampton each finished the night with a goal and an assist as the Mudbugs led for nearly all of the last two periods. John DeCaro was fantastic in goal with 31 saves in his first appearance of the series. The 'Bugs scored two more powerplay goals on five chances and again killed off all six Arizona powerplays.
The Mudbugs came out firing in Game 3 with five shots on goal in the first two minutes, but the opening period stayed scoreless until just over a minute remained. Two straight Arizona penalties put the 'Bugs on a late 5-on-3 powerplay, during which Jeff Kyrzakos banged home a Shawn Limpright centering feed to put Bossier-Shreveport on top 1-0. The Mudbugs outshot Arizona 14-5 in the first and led 1-0 going into the second frame.
The Sundogs evened the score at one eight minutes into the second as Joey Sides banked the puck off DeCaro and in at the side of the net. Less than three minutes later David Rutherford stickhandled through the Arizona defense and fired a shot that was stopped by Scott Reid before Jim Jorgensen tapped in the rebound to put the Mudbugs back on top at 2-1 after 40 minutes.
Bossier-Shreveport killed off three more 'Dogs powerplays in the third and took the first two-goal lead of the series when Brett Smith dropped a pass back to Limpright, who skated into the slot and sent a shot into the top corner to give the 'Bugs a 3-1 edge. The Mudbugs held on until cementing the win with Travis Clayton's late empty-net goal and a rebound marker from Steven Crampton with 28 seconds left.
John DeCaro (1-0) backstopped the win with 26 saves in the final two periods, picking up where he left off in his first playoff action since being injured in Game 2 of last year's Northern Conference Semifinals against Colorado. Scott Reid (1-2) made 35 saves in defeat as Bossier-Shreveport outshot Arizona 40-32.
The Mudbugs will now have the chance to advance to the Berry Conference Semifinals with a win in Wednesday's Game 4 at the Tim's Toyota Center. Opening faceoff on Wednesday is once again set for 9:05 pm Central time, with radio coverage starting at 8:45 on AM 1130 KWKH. Don't forget that you're invited to the Mudbugs' Game 4 Watch Party at Archie Hebert's Sports Bar and Grill located at the Villagio in Bossier City. The game will also be shown live online on CHL-TV.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2011
- Mudbugs Eliminate Arizona From Playoffs - Arizona Sundogs
- Aikins, DeCaro Lift Mudbugs into Second Round - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Komets Sweep PrairieThunder in Opening Round - Fort Wayne Komets
- Eagles Eliminate Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Game Five Comeback Ends in Heartbreak - Wichita Thunder
- Eagles Advance With Game 4 Win Over Quad City - Colorado Eagles
- PrairieThunder Season Comes To An End With 6-3 Loss At Fort Wayne - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Brennan Recalled by Chicago Wolves - Allen Americans
- Bucks Send out Survey to Fans - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Face Wichita Tonight in Decisive Game 5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Announce Round Two Home Dates - Allen Americans
- RiverKings Mascot Does Downtown Time Thursday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Re-Take Series Lead in Game 3 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.