Maton Homers, But Claws Fall 5-4 at Greensboro
GREENSBORO, NC - Harrison DiNicola's RBI double in the sixth inning gave Greensboro a 5-4 win over the BlueClaws on Thursday night, handing Lakewood their third straight loss.
DiNicola brought home Marcos Rivera with a seventh inning double off BlueClaws reliever Luis Cedeno (0-1) to break a 4-4 tie.
The BlueClaws have dropped three straight games looking for their 50th win of the season, falling to 8-6/49-34. Greensboro (8-6/42-41) has now won eight of 15 meetings between the two teams this year.
Lakewood threatened in the ninth off Vicenzo Aiello, putting runners at first and third with two outs, but Jhailyn Ortiz struck out looking to end the inning. Aiello, who saved Wednesday night's game as well, got his seventh save of the season since joining Greensboro at the end of May.
Greensboro got on the board with two runs in the second inning. Isael Soto came home on a groundout by Micah Brown and Garvis Lara scored on a wild pitch to tie the game at two.
In the fourth, Lara hit his third home run of the season to put the Grasshoppers ahead 4-2. It was his fifth professional home run.
The BlueClaws would tie the game in the sixth. Simon Muzziotti reached on a throwing error on Brown from third base, allowing two runs to score and level the score.
That lead, however, was short-lived, as the Grasshoppers took the lead on Harrison DiNicola's RBI double in the bottom of the sixth inning.
Lakewood starter Spencer Howard gave up four runs on four hits and five walks in five innings of work but did not factor in the decision.
Daniel Brito and Edwin Rodriguez had two hits apiece for the BlueClaws in the loss.
The teams finish their series on Friday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Damon Jones (6-3) starts for Lakewood opposite LHP Trevor Rogers (0-3).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws shortstop Nick Maton
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 5, 2018
- Drive Defeat Fireflies 4-2 for Second Straight Night - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Lose No-Hit Bid, Game in Tenth - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sanchez Records First Three-Hit Game of the Season - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Rally Around Two Big Innings, Four Augusta Errors to Even Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- Wild 5th Inning Cost GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Cabrera Deals Career-High 8 Strikeouts - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Snyder's Late Home Run Breaks up Pitcher's Duel - Asheville Tourists
- Maton Homers, But Claws Fall 5-4 at Greensboro - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Thursday's Game against the Legends Suspended - West Virginia Power
- Wizards & Muggles: Harry Potter Night Returns July 13th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Preview: Cabrera Back on the Mound - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 5) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 5 vs. Greenville (Game 81) - Columbia Fireflies
- Los Rapidos De Kannapolis Take Field Tonight - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.