Match Recap: Philadelphia Union 1, New England Revolution 0
Philadelphia Union 1 - New England Revolution 0
Talen Energy Stadium (Chester, PA)
Saturday, August 18, 2018
TODAY'S MATCH INFO:
Venue: Talen Energy Stadium (Chester, PA)
Referee: Drew Fischer
Assistants: Peter Manikowski, Peter Balciunas
Fourth Official: Chico Grajeda
Video Assistant Referee: Jorge Gonzalez
Weather: 76 degrees and clear
PHI - Cory Burke (Haris Medunjanin) 53'
PHI - Cory Burke (caution) 57'
NE - Michael Mancienne (caution) 78'
NE - Diego Fagundez (caution) 90'+4'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Keegan Rosenberry, Jack Elliott, Auston Trusty, Raymon Gaddis; Haris Medunjanin, Alejandro Bedoya (Warren Creavalle 90'+5'); CJ Sapong (Ilsinho 68'), Borek Dockal (Derrick Jones 82'), Fafa Picault; Cory Burke
Substitutes not used: John McCarthy; Mark McKenzie, Fabinho, David Accam
New England Revolution: Matt Turner; Andrew Farrell, Jalil Anibaba, Michael Mancienne, Brandon Bye; Cristhian Machado (Brian Wright 71'), Luis Caicedo, Wilfried Zahibo (Zachary Herivaux 89'); Juan Agudelo, Diego Fagundez, Cristian Penilla
Substitutes not used: Brad Knighton; Antonio Milnar Delamea, Kelyn Rowe, Isaac Angking, Femi Hollinger-Janzen
With 90 minutes played tonight, Raymon Gaddis' career Union total (regular season) is now at 13,869 ... he is now the all-time minutes played leader in Union history, surpassing Brian Carroll by five minutes ... Gaddis is also now two starts shy of breaking Carroll's Union record in that category (156).
Cory Burke scored his team-leading seventh goal of the season tonight, the game winning goal ... the Jamaican tied Jack McInerney (five, 2013) for the most game-winning goals in a single Union season ... the Union are now 7-0-0 when Burke starts in the regular season.
Andre Blake's four-save clean sheet was his second consecutive shutout as well as his seventh of the season ... he is two shy of tying his single-season best in the category (nine, 2017).
CJ Sapong started his 100th regular-season game for the Union, becoming the eighth player in team history to reach that milestone (Carroll, Gaddis, Le Toux, Williams, Fabinho, MacMath, Okugo).
With the win, the Union have now taken nine points off of the Revolution in regular-season play this campaign ... this is the second time in Philadelphia team history that the club went 3-0-0 against one opponent in a single season (Columbus, 2016).
The Union next play on Wednesday, August 29 when they make their first-ever visit to Audi Field in Washington to take on D.C. United (8:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 25, 2018
- Minnesota United Falls 2-0 on the Road to Sporting Kc - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Tops Minnesota 2-0 for Fourth Straight Win - Sporting Kansas City
- Impact Falls 3-1 in Toronto - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (3) - Montreal Impact (1) Post-Match Summary - Toronto FC
- New Acquisition Carlos Ascues Puts in Strong Performance in Debut - Orlando City SC
- NYRBII, Battery Each Take Point in Thrilling 4-4 Draw - New York Red Bulls
- Match Recap: Philadelphia Union 1, New England Revolution 0 - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Fall to Philadelphia Union, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - August 26, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, LAFC 1 - Friday, August 24, 2018 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Draws Galaxy 1-1 at Stubhub Center on Friday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Falls to Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Derrick Jones Receives International Call-Up
- Philadelphia Union tie Atlanta United FC 1-1
- Four Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups
- Philadelphia Union Acquire Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro
- Philadelphia Union 1, Toronto FC 3