NYRBII, Battery Each Take Point in Thrilling 4-4 Draw
New York Red Bulls II (9-7-10, 37 points) travelled south to draw Charleston Battery (11-4-11, 44 points), 4-4, in a back and forth match Saturday night at MUSC Health Stadium in Charleston.
Atualla Guerra started the scoring for the Battery, finding the back of the net in the 22nd minute.
Patrick Okonkwo would double the lead for the home side only six minutes later off an assist from Nicholas Rittmeyer.
Charleston would head into halftime with control of the match, with Guerra grabbing his second goal of the match just before the whistle.
The game would turn on its head in the 61st minute, with Charleston midfielder Tah Anunga being shown a red card.
NYRB II quickly capitalized and earned a penalty in the 64th minute, which was slotted home by Tom Barlow on his first touch as a substitute.
Jose Aguinaga scored only four minutes later off a cross from Jared Stroud. This was Aguinaga's fourth straight game with a goal or an assist; this was also Stroud's 10th assist of the season, tying him for the league lead.
Tom Barlow would score again in the 73rd to level the game at 3-3 off Allen Yanes' first career point for NYRB II.
Charleston then pulled ahead, 4-3, off Patrick Okonkwo's second goal of the game.
NYRB II would tie the game late, with Tom Barlow completing his first career hat trick in the 88th minute. The goal was assisted by Wahab Ackwei, who recorded his first career point for the club.
NYRB II will now return home to MSU Soccer Park to face Ottawa Fury FC on Friday, August 31 Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 25, 2018
- Minnesota United Falls 2-0 on the Road to Sporting Kc - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Tops Minnesota 2-0 for Fourth Straight Win - Sporting Kansas City
- Impact Falls 3-1 in Toronto - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (3) - Montreal Impact (1) Post-Match Summary - Toronto FC
- New Acquisition Carlos Ascues Puts in Strong Performance in Debut - Orlando City SC
- NYRBII, Battery Each Take Point in Thrilling 4-4 Draw - New York Red Bulls
- Match Recap: Philadelphia Union 1, New England Revolution 0 - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Fall to Philadelphia Union, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - August 26, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, LAFC 1 - Friday, August 24, 2018 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Draws Galaxy 1-1 at Stubhub Center on Friday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Falls to Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Roll Past San Jose, 4-1, in MLS Home Opener
- Match Preview: New York Hosts San Jose for MLS Home Opener
- New York Red Bulls to Commemorate 2018 Supporters' Shield at Home Opener on Saturday
- Red Bulls Knocked out of SCCL by Santos Laguna
- Three New York Red Bulls Set for International Duty