Match Preview: New York Hosts D.C. United on Fan Appreciation Night
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls (14-13-5, 47 pts) conclude their home regular-season slate on Sunday with D.C. United (13-10-9, 48 pts) for Fan Appreciation Night at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is set for 5 p.m. EST with coverage on FS1, Fox Sports Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 4:30 p.m. EST with Countdown to Kickoff, presented by Honda, hosted by Matt Harmon. Ernesto Motta will carry the Spanish play-by-play responsibilities, beginning at 5 p.m. EST.
With both teams already securing a spot in the Audi 2019 MLS Playoffs, New York and D.C. United will set their sights on moving one step closer to hosting a home playoff match on Sunday. Both teams are separated by just one point as D.C., who are winners of their last three, sits at 48, while New York, tallying back-to-back wins, has 47. The Red Bulls have not lost a regular-season match to D.C. United in nine previous meetings and are 7-1-3 at Red Bull Arena in league games versus D.C.
The Red Bulls have done a good job bouncing back after rough patches during the season. New York owns a 6-4-3 mark in league play following a loss with a plus-six goal differential (21 GF, 17 GA). New York has responded with multi-goal performances in seven of the 13 matches following a loss. More specifically, the Red Bulls have had two separate three-match losing streaks and responded with two wins in the next four matches the first go around and two straight-wins most recently.
Captain and goalkeeper Luis Robles recently reached to the 25,000 minute-milestone across all competitions. Robles recorded back-to-back clean sheets for the second time this season to raise his season total to eight and career total to 71. The Fort Hauchuca, Arizona, native has amassed 59 league shutouts since 2015, which is the most among MLS goalkeepers during that span.
New York wraps up the regular season on the road against the Montreal Impact on Sunday, Oct. 6. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 27, 2019
- Sporting Announces 2019 Club Awards at Pitch Black - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake and General Manager Craig Waibel Agree to Part Ways - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- MLS Fines Portland Timbers Owner Merritt Paulson for Conduct Directed at Referees - MLS
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Honored by Sandy City - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Montreal Impact - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Announce 2019 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- Preview: Sporting to Face Portland in Home Finale on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City Closes out Two-Game Road Trip at FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- #COLvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Audi Field to Host First-Of-Its-Kind Unite the District Fest in October - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Extend Affinity Federal Credit Union Partnership with Co-Branded Credit Card - New York Red Bulls
- Storylines: City vs. FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: New York Hosts D.C. United on Fan Appreciation Night - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Fall Short to Philadelphia, 4-3 in Overtime
- New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University Launch "Goal for Perfect Attendance" Program
- Match Preview: New York Heads to Philadelphia for Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
- New York Red Bulls Name Natasha Patel Head of Performance Analysis