Match Preview: New York Begins MLS Slate against Portland
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls (0-0-0) will open their 23rd MLS season at Red Bull Arena as they host the Portland Timbers (0-1-0) on Saturday at 7 p.m. ET. Saturday's match will be broadcast on MSG2 and can be heard via Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIN.
Coverage of Saturday's match on MSG2 begins at 6:30 p.m. with Honda Red Bulls Game Night. Jon Yardley will have the primary play-by-play responsibilities and will be alongside Shep Messing and Michelle Gingras.
New York Red Bulls Radio goes live at 6 p.m. ET with triHonda Countdown to Kickoff, hosted by Matt Harmon alongside Steve Jolley. Ernesto Motta will have the Spanish play-by-play call for the New York Red Bulls Radio and will be live at 7 p.m.
New York will enter Saturday's MLS season opener on a four-match unbeaten streak across all competitions, including an impressive 2-0 victory at Club Tijuana. The Red Bulls' 2-0 win over Tijuana was just the third time in CONCACAF Champions League history that an MLS team has won a game in Mexico. MLS teams are 3-38-8 when playing competitive matches in Mexico. The win broke a 21-match winless streak for MLS teams in Mexico.
It is the first time an MLS team has won in a knockout situation, and the first time an MLS team has won by multiple goals. The other MLS wins in Mexico were both 1-0 wins in the group stage of the competition. (FC Dallas def. Pumas, 1-0, 8/17/11; Seattle def. Monterrey, 1-0, 8/23/11)
Red Bulls veterans Bradley Wright-Phillips and Luis Robles both generated very good performances to give New York a huge advantage in their CCL quarterfinal series with Club Tijuana. Wright-Phillips tallied his 17th career brace across all competitions and Robles recorded a career-best 13 saves to hold a 2-0 aggregate over Club Tijuana heading into leg two.
Following Saturday's match, New York will host Club Tijuana in the second leg of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals on Tuesday, March 13. Leg Two will kick off at 8 p.m. and will be broadcast nationally on Univision Deportes and streamed on go90 alongside Red Bulls Radio in English on TuneIn.
Broadcast Transmission Information
Red Bull Arena - 7 p.m. ET (MSG2)
Saturday, March 10, 2018
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 8, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Preview: Fire, Sporting KC Clash Saturday at Toyota Park - Chicago Fire
- Whitecaps FC Sign 2018 MLS SuperDraft Pick Justin Fiddes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Match Preview: New York Begins MLS Slate against Portland - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Acquire Midfielder Luis Alberto Caicedo Mosquera - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Re-Sign Defender Chris Mavinga - Toronto FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Chivas Guadalajara - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dempsey Strike Secures Champions League Quarterfinal Victory over Mexican Power Chivas Guadalajara - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bull Arena to Host Atletico Nacional and America de Cali for Club Friendly
- Red Bulls Knocked out of U.S. Open Cup
- Match Preview: New York and Philadelphia Clash in Open Cup for Fourth-Straight Year
- New York Red Bulls Extend Sporting Director Denis Hamlett
- Red Bulls and Southern New Hampshire University Announce New Makerspace Lab at Camden Elementary School in Newark, NJ