MATCH Preview: Nashville SC Returns to GEODIS Park for One More Western Conference Clash
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville SC (12W-9L-8D, 44 pts.) will face its fifth and final Western Conference opponent this Saturday, Sept. 30 as it takes on Seattle Sounders FC (12W-9L-9D, 45 pts) at GEODIS Park at 7:30 p.m. CT. The match marks the first of three upcoming fixtures in a week.
Nashville SC and Seattle Sounders FC have clashed twice in series history, both in 2022 when the Boys in Gold took to wins as part of the Western Conference. Joe Willis recorded two clean sheets, as Aníbal Godoy and Hany Mukhtar scored in the season-opening on Feb. 27, 2022 at Lumen Field, and on July 13, 2022 at GEODIS Park, respectively.
Nashville SC currently sits at seventh in the Eastern Conference with 44 points. The Boys in Gold have one game in hand over four of the six teams ahead of them in the table, level with New England Revolution and two games in hand over Atlanta United FC.
Earlier today, Head Coach Gary Smith and forward Fafá Picault discussed with media the importance of picking up points through Nashville SC's remaining five matches this season, four at GEODIS Park. Smith also spoke of the talent and long-standing success that comes with Seattle Sounders FC. Picault discussed his versatility on the field and the importance of picking up four points on Nashville SC's most recent road trip.
Nashville SC will look to continue its four-match unbeaten and three-match scoring streak as it pushes for a berth in the Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs. Hany Mukhtar will also look to continue his scoring form. The reigning Landon Donovan MVP is in a tightly contested race for the 2023 Golden Boot as he sits in a three-way tie for the lead with 15 goals. Across Nashville SC's three-match goal scoring streak, Mukhtar has recorded four goal contributions (two goals, two assists).
Mukhtar has retained a consistent scoring form over his last three seasons, resulting in multiple records broken. He has accumulated 54 goals in 92 appearances (58 goals and 37 assists in 108 appearances across four regular seasons), which makes him the fifth ranking player in MLS with the most contributions in that span, and just the eighth player in MLS history to net 15 or more goals in three successive seasons. His assist to Teal Bunbury on Sept. 23, 2023 saw him become just the second ever player to register 10+ goals and 10+ assists in three consecutive MLS (also Preki 1996-98). Mukhtar currently sits on 62 goals and 37 assists in 114 appearances across the MLS regular season and playoffs. His 99 goal contributions put Mukhtar just one goal contribution away from reaching the 100-mark milestone. He currently leads Nashville SC in goal contributions with 25 (15 goals and 10 assists) in 2023.
Nashville SC's match Saturday night will also serve as its Hispanic Heritage Night as the club honors Hispanic Heritage Month through September and October. The night will include a variety of performances by Hispanic artists and musicians. Find out more at www.NashvilleSc.com/Community.
- Television: MLS Season Pass on Apple TV and on FS1
- Radio: 104.5 The Zone app
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 28, 2023
- By the Numbers: FC Cincinnati at Toronto FC - FC Cincinnati
- Portland Timbers Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic Suspended - MLS
- Abdoulaye Cissoko Named to 2023 MLS NEXT Pro Best XI - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Academy Product Adam Beaudry Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team - Colorado Rapids
- MATCH Preview: Inter Miami CF to Host New York City FC this Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- MATCH Preview: Nashville SC Returns to GEODIS Park for One More Western Conference Clash - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Surpasses 24,000 STMs, Launches 'Next Act' Waitlist - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF to Host Hispanic Heritage Night Presented by Espolòn Tequila on September 30 - Inter Miami CF
- New England Revolution Host Fight Childhood Cancer Night at Gillette Stadium - New England Revolution
- Exploiting Tactical Shift: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Extends Homegrown Defender Justen Glad Through 2027 Season - Real Salt Lake
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 35 - MLS
- New Soccer Mini-Pitches to be Unveiled on Tuesday - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Sign Colombian Defender Andrés Reyes to New MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC to Observe National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Tigres UANL Wins 2023 Campeones Cup - MLS
- LAFC Falls to Tigres on Penalty Kicks on Campeones Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Rubio Reaches New Record as Rapids and Vancouver Play to a 2-2 Draw at DSGP - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Travels to Colorado Rapids for First Western Conference Matchup of the Season
- Nashville SC Faces First MLS Road Test of 2024 Saturday at Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC to Face Inter Miami CF in Concacaf Champions Cup Round of 16 After 4-0 Win Over Moca FC
- Nashville SC to Host First-Ever Concacaf Champions Cup Match at GEODIS Park
- Nashville SC Update