Exploiting Tactical Shift: Ingredients of the Match
Charlotte FC faces off against the side they started the 2023 season against, New England Revolution.
Here are the three ingredients of the match:
Exploiting Tactical Shift
Since the appointment of Clint Peay as the interim head coach of the New England Revolution, a significant system overhaul has been initiated. Peay has shown no hesitation in making bold tactical changes, transitioning the team to a more modern 3-2-2-3 formation during possession.
Implementing such a drastic shift at this stage of the season is a daring move. The new system was first put to the test in New England's recent match against the Chicago Fire, which ended in a draw on the road. However, during this game, there were moments of vulnerability that Chicago managed to exploit.
One noteworthy tactical adjustment by Peay was his utilization of Matt Polster, typically a midfielder, in the left-back position. This decision allowed Chicago to exploit the space behind him on the right-hand side, a potential weakness that Charlotte might also look to capitalize on.
The Revolution have enjoyed significant success from set pieces, largely due to their size and determination, resulting in nine goals scored from corners this season alone. In their lineup against the Fire, there were only two players standing under five foot 10 inches, making them one of the taller teams in MLS.
Furthermore, they boast one of the league's top playmakers in Carles Gil, who can deliver precise passes to set up his taller teammates. When facing the Revolution, Charlotte must prioritize defending against aerial threats and strategically position themselves to safeguard effectively against both open play and set pieces.
Final Touch of Quality
A recurring theme in the closing stages of this season has been the lack of that final touch of quality in offensive moments for The Crown.
Captain Ashley Westwood commented on this after the 3-0 loss to FC Cincinnati, saying, "We've had the majority of the ball, more passes, more crosses in the box, but we need to work on that final bit of quality. That's the only thing that is missing."
The team's style of play has allowed them to penetrate into the opponent's final third relatively easily, building up from the back and reaching advantageous positions. However, it's that last shot, the crucial pass, and individual creativity that have been missing to unlock the floodgates of scoring opportunities.
Hey Charlotte FC Fans,
When it comes to Match Day...it's all about the food and Harris Teeter has everything you need. Score big with deals from great brands like these: Chex Mix and Cheerios from General Mills and Kingsford and Match Light Charcoal.
Stop in your Harris Teeter for great savings on Match Day foods. Harris Teeter, Official Grocery Store of Charlotte FC!
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 28, 2023
- By the Numbers: FC Cincinnati at Toronto FC - FC Cincinnati
- Portland Timbers Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic Suspended - MLS
- Abdoulaye Cissoko Named to 2023 MLS NEXT Pro Best XI - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Academy Product Adam Beaudry Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team - Colorado Rapids
- MATCH Preview: Inter Miami CF to Host New York City FC this Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- MATCH Preview: Nashville SC Returns to GEODIS Park for One More Western Conference Clash - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Surpasses 24,000 STMs, Launches 'Next Act' Waitlist - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF to Host Hispanic Heritage Night Presented by Espolòn Tequila on September 30 - Inter Miami CF
- New England Revolution Host Fight Childhood Cancer Night at Gillette Stadium - New England Revolution
- Exploiting Tactical Shift: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Extends Homegrown Defender Justen Glad Through 2027 Season - Real Salt Lake
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 35 - MLS
- New Soccer Mini-Pitches to be Unveiled on Tuesday - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Sign Colombian Defender Andrés Reyes to New MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC to Observe National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Tigres UANL Wins 2023 Campeones Cup - MLS
- LAFC Falls to Tigres on Penalty Kicks on Campeones Cup - Los Angeles FC
- Rubio Reaches New Record as Rapids and Vancouver Play to a 2-2 Draw at DSGP - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- Match Preview: Charlotte FC at Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Dean Smith: "We Just Need to Keep Improving"
- Maintain Standards: Ingredients of the Match
- Dean Smith Joins CBS Golazo Morning Show to Discuss Charlotte FC's Opener, the Season Ahead, and Josh Sargent
- Charlotte FC Homegrown Nimfasha Berchimas Makes History at Just 16 Years Old