Match Preview: Marquee Matchup Between New York and Atlanta United on Tap for Sunday Night
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls (6-3-0, 18 pts) are heating up and take their three-match winning streak against Eastern Conference giant Atlanta United FC (8-2-1, 25 pts) on Sunday night at Mercedes Benz Stadium. Sunday's nationally broadcast matchup is set for 7 p.m. ET with coverage on FS1, FOX Sports Go and New York Red Bulls Radio in English on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio goes live at 6:30 p.m. ET with triHonda Countdown to Kickoff, hosted by Matt Harmon.
MLS's top-two offenses clash on Sunday as New York leads MLS in goals per game at 2.56, while Atlanta sits second at 2.27. Three of the league's top goal scorers will square off at Mercedes Benz Stadium with Josef Martinez, co-Golden Boot leader at eight, while his teammate Miguel Almiron and Bradley Wright-Phillips are both tied for third with six.
New York is currently enjoying a two-match road winning streak and three-game winning streak overall. The Red Bulls recorded back-to-back road wins for the first time since July 5-22, 2017 whey they won at New England and Minnesota.
With the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League and MLS play to balance, the Red Bulls gave almost their entire roster a chance to start matches and it seems to have paid off early on in league play. Through the first 13 matches, New York threw out 13 different starting lineups with 23 different players getting a chance to start, tallying a 7-4-2 mark during that stretch. The Red Bulls have settled on a consistent starting XI the last two matches, having won both matches and outscoring their opponents, 6-1.
New York has been able to produce goals at such a high clip with the help of different starting XI combinations. Despite Bradley Wright-Phillips leading the Red Bulls in goals, New York has had 13 different goal scorers to give the squad a dynamic attack. The 13 different goal scorers surpass last season's total of 11, just 15 matches across all competitions this season.
New York returns home for Military Appreciation Night against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, May 26. The Red Bulls and Union kickoff at 7 p.m. ET on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.
Broadcast Transmission Information
Mercedes Benz Stadium - 7 p.m. ET (FS1)
Sunday, May 20, 2018
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Launch Fifth Annual #BuckUp for Mental Health Fundraising Campaign - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Lions Head to Toronto Seeking Third Consecutive Road Win - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Defender Matt Polster Injury Update - Chicago Fire
- Five Impact Players Selected for the Prestigious Toulon Tournament - Montreal Impact
- Two Houston Venues to Host 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Major League Soccer Launches Season 3, The Movement Presented by AT&T - MLS
- Match Preview: Marquee Matchup Between New York and Atlanta United on Tap for Sunday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Reyna scores first goal of the season in 2-2 draw with Quakes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Earn Point in 2-2 Road Draw at Vancouver - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- CONCACAF Unveils Group Assignments, Dates for 2019 Gold Cup
- Red Bulls Defeat San Jose, Earn 20th Win of the Season
- Six Red Bulls Called into October FIFA Window
- Red Bulls and Southern New Hampshire University Host Successful 3rd Annual Vocational Day at Red Bull Arena
- Red Bulls' eMLS Player Mike Labelle Honored at Tempest eSports Business Awards