Martinez' Quality Start Lifts Power to 4-2 Win in Finale
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Bernie Martinez spun six quality innings in his West Virginia debut and led the Power to a 4-2 win over the Hagerstown Suns Sunday afternoon at Appalachian Power Park.
Martinez (1-0) needed just six pitches to retire the Suns (27-29, 57-69) in order in the first with three straight flyouts. West Virginia (26-30, 63-63) provided some immediate run support, as they loaded the bases in the bottom of the inning with no one out and scored their first run on a double play ball from Matt Sanders. The next inning, the Power loaded the bases again with no one out and came away with the same result, as they scored on a Nick Rodriguez double play that grew the lead to 2-0.
In the third, the first two West Virginia batters were set down to start the frame before a Sanders single and an Austin Shenton double put two runners in scoring position against Jake Irvin (6-8). Dean Nevarez stepped in and cracked a single to center that plated two runs and doubled the Power lead to 4-0.
Through his first four innings, Martinez faced the minimum and did not allow a baserunner to the Suns. However, on the first pitch of the fifth inning, Nic Perkins singled up the middle and later came around to score their first run on an RBI single from Phil Caulfield. That was the only run that Hagerstown tallied against Martinez, who closed out the fifth frame and the sixth to solidify a quality start in his Low-A debut.
Logan Rinehart entered in the seventh and retired the side in order with two strikeouts in his first inning of work. The righty then labored in the eighth, as the Suns inched closer with a Justin Connell RBI groundout that brought Hagerstown within two. Elias Espino (S,1) was called upon in the ninth and silenced the Suns in order with two strikeouts to close out the 4-2 win.
Following a league-wide off day, the Power hits the road for a three-game series in Charleston, S.C., beginning Tuesday evening against the RiverDogs at Joseph P. Riley Jr. Park, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. RHP Evan Johnson (0-4, 4.22 ERA) gets the ball for West Virginia, while Charleston has not named a starter. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power returns to Appalachian Power Park on Friday, August 23, as West Virginia welcomes in the Lakewood BlueClaws for a three-game set. The weekend kicks off with WOWK Night at the ballpark where WOWK news anchors will sign autographs pregame and throw out a first pitch. Following the final out, fans will get a sneak peek at the upcoming CBS lineup coming this fall on the videoboard. Additionally, the Kanahwa Valley's pyrotechnical show returns for another Fireworks Friday, presented by Pioneer WV Federal Credit Union, Suddenlink and WOWK. On Saturday, the first 1,000 fans through the gates, which open at 4:30 p.m., will receive a Cole Tucker bobblehead giveaway, courtesy of the Charleston Building and Construction Trades Council. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Braves Survive Wild 9th Inning to Win 3-2 - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Bullpen Shines in Rome Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Long's Six Shutout Innings Propels Kannapolis to Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Pull Within One-Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Holds off Hickory, 3-2, on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Fall to RiverDogs; Still Manage Strong Homestand - Asheville Tourists
- Smith's Four RBI Afternoon Helps RiverDogs Salvage Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Upend 'Claws Late, Match Record - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Martinez' Quality Start Lifts Power to 4-2 Win in Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Finale to West Virginia 4-2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Birds Score Three in 8th to Top Claws 4-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 18 vs. Rome (Game 122) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Shutout Pitching Carries Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Virginia Power Stories
- Cederlind Makes MLB Debut Tuesday with Pirates
- Mathisen Makes MLB Debut Monday Night with Diamondbacks
- Hayes, Topa Make MLB Debuts Tuesday Night
- Power Streaming UFC 252 Pay-Per-View August 15
- Power to Host Negro Leagues' Centennial Celebration Exhibit August 7