Jackets Pull Within One-Game of 1st Place
GREENSBORO, NC: The Augusta GreenJackets (67-57, 31-25) defeated the Greensboro Grasshoppers (73-51, 29-26) by a final score of 3-2 on Sunday. The win for the GreenJackets, combined with the Asheville Tourists loss, puts the GreenJackets only one-game back of 1st place with 14 games left in the regular season.
The GreenJackets will host the Tourists for three games starting on Tuesday night at SRP Park.
While Keaton Winn continued his greatness on the mound, the GreenJackets offense went to work for him in the 3rd inning. A fielder's choice for Logan Wyatt scored a run, and the Jackets had a 1-0 lead. Wyatt came up again in the 5th inning and delivered a run on a sacrifice fly to give Augusta a 2-0 advantage. The Jackets grabbed another run in the inning on an RBI single for Ricardo Genoves, and it brought the lead to 3-0.
Keaton Winn allowed a run in the 6th inning on a Ji-hwan Bae double to make it 3-1. That was all the scoring Greensboro could come up with off Winn. He goes seven-innings for the 2nd straight outing and allows just one-run while collecting his 7th win of the season.
In the 8th inning, Greensboro tightened the score at 3-2 thanks to an RBI single for Fabricio Macias. The Grasshoppers threatened with the winning run in the 9th, but could not score, and the Jackets go on to win by a final of 3-2.
Player of the Game: Keaton Winn, 7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 7 K
Keaton Winn delivered another seven-inning performance on the mound. It was the 2nd consecutive game he's been able to do that, and he lowers his ERA to 3.18 this year.
Tuesday's Game: 7:05 PM vs Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies), SRP Park, North Augusta, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (ASH) TBD (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Adam Oller (5-5, 4.06 ERA)
The GreenJackets prepare for a crucial series with the Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies) and they will start the series with Adam Oller on the mound. Oller is coming off a tremendous outing against the Greenville Drive on August 14th where he went a career high seven-innings, and he did not allow an earned run. Oller has also gone at least five-innings in all 10 of his starts in the 2nd half of the season. The right hander has a 2.76 ERA at SRP Park compared to a 6.39 ERA in road starts. He was a 14th round selection by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 2016 MLB Draft out of Northwestern State.They released him in November of 2018, and the San Francisco Giants signed him to a minor league deal in May of 2019.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Braves Survive Wild 9th Inning to Win 3-2 - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Bullpen Shines in Rome Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Long's Six Shutout Innings Propels Kannapolis to Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Pull Within One-Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Holds off Hickory, 3-2, on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Fall to RiverDogs; Still Manage Strong Homestand - Asheville Tourists
- Smith's Four RBI Afternoon Helps RiverDogs Salvage Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Upend 'Claws Late, Match Record - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Martinez' Quality Start Lifts Power to 4-2 Win in Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Finale to West Virginia 4-2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Birds Score Three in 8th to Top Claws 4-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 18 vs. Rome (Game 122) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Shutout Pitching Carries Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- GreenJackets Hiring for 2020 Season
- GreenJackets Announce 2020 Field Staff
- SRP Park College Baseball Showcase to Host Augusta University v. University of South Carolina Aiken
- Auggie's Holiday BUZZar Still on for Saturday, GreenJackets Cancel Auggie's Holiday Movie Night
- SRP Park College Baseball Showcase to Host USC Upstate v. the University of South Carolina