Suns Drop Finale to West Virginia 4-2
CHARLESTON, WV - Hagerstown couldn't overcome an early 4-0 deficit with a late rally in a 4-2 loss to the West Virginia Power at Appalachian Power Park Sunday afternoon.
Jake Irvin (L, 6-8) ran into trouble early, loading the bases with no outs in each of the first two innings. He was able to get Matt Sanders and Nick Rodriguez to ground into double plays to score just one run in each of the two innings to get out of it though. So heading into the third, the Suns trailed 2-0 when Dean Navarez ripped a two out base knock to score Sanders and Austin Shenton to put Hagerstown in a 4-0 hole.
Next time through the order, Irvin fanned a pair of batters to get his 100th punchout of the season. He joined Tomas Alastre in that club, which made them the first pair of Suns pitchers with 100 strikeouts in the same season since Pedro Encarnacion and Nick Lee in 2013.
Nic Perkins started off the fifth with a baseknock and eventually scored when Navarez had an error to allow Phil Caulfield to reach first safely.
The Suns added another in the eighth. Justin Connell grounded out to score Trey Vickers to cut the gap to 4-2.
The bullpen closed the game working three scoreless frames, while striking out six batters. Christian Vann, Chandler Day and Matt Cronin eached worked one frame after Irvin exited.
The Suns return home for a six-game homestand August 20. During the stretch they'll face the Greenville Drive and the Delmarva Shorebirds and will host the final Fireworks night of the season Friday, August 23. The following day, Hagerstown will give away a Mike Mussina bobblehead to the first 1,000 fans in the gates. Gates open at 5:00 p.m. The homestand will also feature Thirsty Thursday and Sunday Funday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Braves Survive Wild 9th Inning to Win 3-2 - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Bullpen Shines in Rome Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Long's Six Shutout Innings Propels Kannapolis to Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Pull Within One-Game of 1st Place - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Holds off Hickory, 3-2, on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Fall to RiverDogs; Still Manage Strong Homestand - Asheville Tourists
- Smith's Four RBI Afternoon Helps RiverDogs Salvage Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Upend 'Claws Late, Match Record - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Martinez' Quality Start Lifts Power to 4-2 Win in Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Finale to West Virginia 4-2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Birds Score Three in 8th to Top Claws 4-2 - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 18 vs. Rome (Game 122) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Shutout Pitching Carries Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.