Martinez Named Carolina League Player of the Week
Kinston, N.C. - Wood Ducks outfielder Julio Pablo Martinez has been named the Carolina League Player of the Week, for August 26-September 2, the league announced today.
Martinez becomes the ninth Down East player this season to win a weekly award this season.
The 23-year-old hit safely in every game he played on the week, and capped the season riding an 11-game hitting streak. He went 14-for-37 (.378), with three home runs, all of which came in three straight games. In game one of the double-header against Fayetteville on Saturday, Martinez blasted a go-ahead three-run shot in the seventh inning, his third home run this season to either go ahead, or take the lead in the final scheduled inning. Martinez also posted six RBI and scored seven runs on the week, for an OPS of 1.059.
The Baracoa, Cuba native joined the Wood Ducks April 17, after playing the first two weeks of the season with Single-A Hickory. Martinez this season is slashing .248/.319/.423/.741 and ranks tied for fourth in the league with 14 home runs this season, while driving in 58 runs in 113 games played. Martinez was originally signed by the Rangers, March 6, 2018, and is rated as the 25th best Texas prospect by MLB Pipeline.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 3, 2019
- Carolina League Announces Schedule Changes for Mills Cup Playoffs - Down East Wood Ducks
- Support Your Sox in the Northern Division Championship - Salem Red Sox
- Carolina League Playoffs Rescheduled Due to Hurricane Dorian - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Dubin Named Final Carolina League Pitcher of the Week in 2019 - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Martinez Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Down East Wood Ducks
- Recap: Fayetteville 5, Down East 4 - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship
- September 8 Game Information