Marlies and Amerks Close out Back-To-Back
The Toronto Marlies and Rochester Americans meet again today to close out a doubleheader weekend at Coca-Cola Coliseum.
With a win last night, the Americans took a 4-1 lead in the season series against the Marlies. They continue to hold onto second place in the North Division, with a five-point lead on the third place Marlies.
Last night was the first time in eight games that the Marlies were unsuccessful on the power play. Special teams have been their key to success recently and they'll need to dig in here today and find a way to capitalize on those opportunities. Sheldon Keefe addressed that after yesterday's loss, adding "we've survived on the strength of special teams and goaltending and that's allowed us to get to overtime and find ways to squeeze out points...Like I said, a part of that is us getting healthy and part of that is giving players a better plan and executing and communicating a better plan from the coaching standpoint, and then we've got to just continue to dig in as a team. We get another opportunity to play against a good team tomorrow so it's a good chance for us to continue to grow."
Players to watch: With a goal last night, Chris Mueller has extended his point-streak (10-8-17) to 11 games. Jeremy Bracco recorded an assist in last night's game, setting a new single-season Marlies franchise record with 53 assists in a 76-game season. He leads the league in assists and is tied for first in league scoring with 71 points. Both players have continued to be key contributors in the Marlies lineup.
Puck drops at 5:00PM on Leafs Nation Network and AHLTV. Fans in Ontario can also stream the game live on the Maple Leafs App.
Head to Head (2018-19 Regular Season)
35-22-6-4 Overall Record 40-21-3-2
1-3-0-1 Head To Head 4-1-0-0
Loss 1 Streak Win 1
225 Goals For 218
218 Goals Against 185
22.8% Power Play Percentage 20.1%
81.5% Penalty Kill Percentage 82.3%
C. Mueller (29) Leading Goal Scorer V. Olofsson (27)
J. Bracco (71) Leading Points Scorer V. Olofsson (56)
M. Hutchinson (15) Wins Leader S. Wedgewood (26)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Iowa Drops 4-3 Contest to Stockton Heat - Iowa Wild
- McCarron Early, Lazar Late Lead Stockton to Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Upended Late by Tucson, 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Stage Incredible Third-Period Comeback, Stun Marlies in Overtime to Sweep Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Score Three Unanswered in Win over Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Three-goal second period guides Bridgeport to convincing win against Syracuse - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Fall to Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Megan, Griffins Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Defeat Thunderbirds, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Win Third Straight, Best Bears 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Drop Sunday Contest in Cleveland, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Breeze to Weekend Sweep over Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Keep Rolling with 6-2 Win over Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Dea's Two Goals Not Enough for T-Birds in His Return to Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies and Amerks Close out Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Game #60 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kings Recall Forward Michael Amadio from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Sabres Recall Pilut - Rochester Americans
- Stockton Aims for Weekend Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- McIlrath Recalled, Sulak Assigned by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Leier, Luchuk, Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Pederson's Hat Trick Powers Roadrunners to Overtime Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Come back for Shootout Point - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Return Home with Shootout Win - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Close Texas Series with 3-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Poolman Helps Moose over Colorado in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Earn Point in Overtime Loss at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Marlies Stories
- Marlies Ready for Game Two of ECF
- Marlies Confident as They Prepare to Square off against Checkers in Eastern Conference Final
- Eastern Conference Finals Series Preview
- Marlies to Face Charlotte Checkers in Eastern Conference Finals
- Marlies Advance to Eastern Conference Finals