Game #60 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose
Game #60 - Tucson (29-23-5-2) vs. San Jose (32-19-3-4)
4:05 PM MST, Tucson Arena, Tucson, Arizona
Referees: #39 Brandon Blandina, #74 Michael Sheehan
Linesmen: #59 Rob Fay, #17 William Hancock
The Roadrunners host the San Jose Barracuda this afternoon at Tucson Arena for what is to be the final of the teams' eight scheduled regular season meetings, set for a 4:05 PM start.
With last night's overtime win, the Roadrunners improved their mark against the Barracuda this season to 4-0-1-2; they have earned points in all seven games played against San Jose and are 3-0-0-0 at home.
Lane Pederson secured his first pro hat trick 59 seconds into overtime on Saturday, which served as the fifth scored in franchise history; Christian Fischer, Brendan Perlini, Mario Kempe, and Matteo Gennaro the others. Pederson's was the second of such to be scored on home ice.
Jeremy Gregoire played against his brother, Thomas, a rookie defenseman for the Barracuda, for the first time professionally last night. Jeremy assisted on Pederson's first goal of the evening.
The Roadrunners currently find themselves six points out of the Pacific Division's playoff picture, but have three games in hand on the fourth-place Colorado Eagles, who they host for a pair of contests next weekend.
The only other team from the Pacific's grouping in action tonight is the sixth-place Stockton Heat, who host the Iowa Wild at 5:00 PM PST.
THREE THINGS GET IT TO FOUR: With a win in regulation tonight, the Roadrunners can move to within four points of a playoff spot, and upon completion of tonight's game, they will still have two games in hand on the team they're chasing, the Colorado Eagles. Just like the Eagles, the San Jose Barracuda currently own 71 standings points, meaning that a Roadrunners regulation win will move them to within four points of two clubs.
GAME-WINNING LANE: Of the four victories the Roadrunners have secured in their past five games, going 4-1-0-0, Lane Pederson has scored the game-winning goal in three of them. Pederson has points in each of those four Roadrunners wins, totaling nine (5G, 4A) over that stretch. He now has six points (5G, 1A) in seven games against the Barracuda this season.
ADIN'S ON IT: Adin Hill has allowed two goals or less in each of his last five starts, including a 20-save performance in Saturday's 3-2 overtime win. He has a .926 SV% and a 1.8 GAA over that stretch. The third-year goaltender enters the night ranked ninth among qualified AHL goalies with a 2.46 GAA.
NUMBER TO KNOW THIRTY: With two assists last night, Robbie Russo now has 30 on the season. He ranks ninth among all AHL defensemen in that department, and is just four shy of matching his career-high, when he registered 34 assists during his rookie season with the Grand Rapids Griffins in 2015-16.
WE'RE DOING IT LIVE Catch tonight's action LIVE on AHLTV or join Roadrunners play-by-play broadcaster Adrian Denny on AM 1450 Fox Sports Tucson as he calls the game from the Roadrunners' flagship radio station, where coverage begins at 3:50 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Iowa Drops 4-3 Contest to Stockton Heat - Iowa Wild
- McCarron Early, Lazar Late Lead Stockton to Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Upended Late by Tucson, 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Stage Incredible Third-Period Comeback, Stun Marlies in Overtime to Sweep Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Score Three Unanswered in Win over Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Three-goal second period guides Bridgeport to convincing win against Syracuse - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Fall to Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Megan, Griffins Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Defeat Thunderbirds, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Win Third Straight, Best Bears 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Drop Sunday Contest in Cleveland, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Breeze to Weekend Sweep over Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Keep Rolling with 6-2 Win over Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Dea's Two Goals Not Enough for T-Birds in His Return to Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies and Amerks Close out Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Game #60 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kings Recall Forward Michael Amadio from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Sabres Recall Pilut - Rochester Americans
- Stockton Aims for Weekend Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- McIlrath Recalled, Sulak Assigned by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Leier, Luchuk, Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Pederson's Hat Trick Powers Roadrunners to Overtime Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Come back for Shootout Point - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Return Home with Shootout Win - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Close Texas Series with 3-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Poolman Helps Moose over Colorado in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Earn Point in Overtime Loss at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.