McCarron Early, Lazar Late Lead Stockton to Sweep of Iowa
STOCKTON, Calif. - For the second-straight game the Stockton Heat came up with a late goal to win, this time Curtis Lazar lighting the lamp with less than 54 seconds remaining to help lift the Heat to a 4-3 win over Iowa Sunday evening at Stockton Arena. John McCarron carried the load early for the home team, scoring his first two AHL goals within the game's first 12:22, keeping the Heat tied with Iowa at two goals apiece after 20 minutes. The Wild claimed the lone goal of the second period, an edge that held until Rob Hamilton tied the game 5:29 into the third to draw even at three apiece. Lazar's 18th goal of the season was the difference, the forward beating Kaapo Kahkonen, who had made 41 saves already in the game, to push the Heat past Iowa. The win allowed the Heat to complete a weekend sweep over the Wild and finish the season series against Iowa with a record of 3-0-1-0.
W: Jon Gillies (27 shots, 24 saves)
L: Kaapo Kahkonen (45 shots, 41 saves)
Three Stars: First - John McCarron (2g), Second - Curtis Lazar (1g), Third - Rob Hamilton (1g)
Final Shots: STK - 45, IA - 27
Power Plays: STK - 0-1, IA - 0-2
- John McCarron's scores were the first goals of his AHL career, coming into today's game with 24 AHL games to his credit.
- Adam Ollas Mattsson had a helper on each of McCarron's goals, his third multi-point game of the season and his first points since February 24, also a two-assist game.
- Mason Morelli was credited with an assist on McCarron's second goal, Morelli's first-career AHL point.
- Rob Hamilton's game-tying goal in the third period was his first score since February 20 against Ontario. He now has a point in three-straight games (1g,2a).
- Curtis Lazar notched his team-leading fifth game-winning goal of the season in the win.
- Sebastian Vidmar made his Stockton debut in the game.
- Stockton finishes the season series against Iowa with a record of 3-0-1-0.
The Heat hit the road for the next two weeks before their final two home games of the regular season on Wednesday, April 10 against Ontario at 7 p.m. and Fan Appreciation Night on April 14 at 5 p.m. against Bakersfield.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Iowa Drops 4-3 Contest to Stockton Heat - Iowa Wild
- McCarron Early, Lazar Late Lead Stockton to Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Upended Late by Tucson, 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Stage Incredible Third-Period Comeback, Stun Marlies in Overtime to Sweep Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Score Three Unanswered in Win over Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Three-goal second period guides Bridgeport to convincing win against Syracuse - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Fall to Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Megan, Griffins Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Defeat Thunderbirds, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Win Third Straight, Best Bears 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Drop Sunday Contest in Cleveland, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Breeze to Weekend Sweep over Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Keep Rolling with 6-2 Win over Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Dea's Two Goals Not Enough for T-Birds in His Return to Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies and Amerks Close out Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Game #60 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kings Recall Forward Michael Amadio from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Sabres Recall Pilut - Rochester Americans
- Stockton Aims for Weekend Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- McIlrath Recalled, Sulak Assigned by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Leier, Luchuk, Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Pederson's Hat Trick Powers Roadrunners to Overtime Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Come back for Shootout Point - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Return Home with Shootout Win - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Close Texas Series with 3-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Poolman Helps Moose over Colorado in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Earn Point in Overtime Loss at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.