Barracuda Earn Point in Overtime Loss at Tucson
Tucson, AZ - The San Jose Barracuda (32-19-3-4) hadn't scored within the Tucson Convention Center since March 21, 2018, before scoring a pair in a 3-2 overtime loss to the Tucson Roadrunners (29-23-5-2) (Arizona Coyotes) on Saturday night.
After Hudson Fasching was called for high-sticking at 6:59, the Barracuda waited just seven seconds into the power-play to open up the scoring as Dylan Gambrell (17) poked in a loose puck along the right side. After failing to score on its second man-advantage of the first period, the Barracuda would give up the equalizer at full strength as Jeremy Gregoire gained the offensive-line before threading a pass to Lane Pederson (17) in the slot and Pederson snapped a shot just inside the far post at 17:54 to tie the score up at 1-1.
In the second period, the Barracuda would take their lead back as John McCarthy (11) lifted a short-side backhander past Adin Hill at 2:16. The shorty was San Jose's fifth of the year and the fifth for McCarthy as a member of the Barracuda, the most by any player in the club's four-year history. After failing to score on its first two power-plays, Pederson (19) received a cross-ice pass from Brayden Burke and beat Josef Korenar as he moved in all alone from the right point at 11:21 to even the score at 2-2.
In the third, the Barracuda were badly outshot 13-to-four but weathered the storm and forced overtime. But in the extra session, Pederson (19) would cap off his first pro hat-trick as he ripped in a shot from the left flank at the 59-second mark. With the win, Tucson inched within six points of both the Barracuda and Colorado Eagles for the fourth and final playoff spot in the Pacific Division.
Hill made 20 saves in the win (12-12-3) while Korenar (20-8-2) suffered the hard-luck loss after giving up three goals on 33 shots.
San Jose will be back in action on Sunday in Tucson for the final game on the eight-game season series. Sunday's puck drop is set for 4:05 PM and you can follow both games on 1220 KDOW, The Sharks + SAP Center App, or at watchtheahl.com, with pregame coverage kicking off at 3:35 PM. The Barracuda wrap up its three-game road trip in San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) on Wednesday before returning home for one game at 7:00 PM on Friday, March 29th, when they play host to the Ontario Reign (Los Angeles Kings).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Iowa Drops 4-3 Contest to Stockton Heat - Iowa Wild
- McCarron Early, Lazar Late Lead Stockton to Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Upended Late by Tucson, 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Stage Incredible Third-Period Comeback, Stun Marlies in Overtime to Sweep Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Score Three Unanswered in Win over Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Three-goal second period guides Bridgeport to convincing win against Syracuse - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Fall to Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Megan, Griffins Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Defeat Thunderbirds, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Win Third Straight, Best Bears 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Drop Sunday Contest in Cleveland, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Breeze to Weekend Sweep over Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Keep Rolling with 6-2 Win over Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Dea's Two Goals Not Enough for T-Birds in His Return to Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies and Amerks Close out Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Game #60 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kings Recall Forward Michael Amadio from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Sabres Recall Pilut - Rochester Americans
- Stockton Aims for Weekend Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- McIlrath Recalled, Sulak Assigned by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Leier, Luchuk, Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Pederson's Hat Trick Powers Roadrunners to Overtime Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Come back for Shootout Point - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Return Home with Shootout Win - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Close Texas Series with 3-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Poolman Helps Moose over Colorado in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Earn Point in Overtime Loss at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Erase Two-Goal Deficit, Beat Condors 4-3
- Barracuda Return Home, Cruise Past Gulls 5-1
- San Jose Barracuda Set to Debut Brand New Promotions During Its October 11th Home Opener
- Barracuda Shutout 5-0 in Season-Opener at Ontario
- Barracuda Sign Forward Krystof Hrabik