Poolman Helps Moose over Colorado in OT
Tucker Poolman scored twice, including the game-winner, as the Manitoba Moose (33-27-4-2) took down the Colorado Eagles (33-24-4-1) in overtime on Saturday evening at the Budweiser Events Center. Manitoba nearly got things going early when Logan Shaw set the table for Mason Appleton on a one-timer off the rush, but Colorado netminder Pavel Francouz made a fantastic save to keep the game scoreless. The Moose did eventually start the scoring 9:41 into the contest. Immediately following a Manitoba power play, Cameron Schilling fired a shot off the post that rebounded into the net off Francouz. The lead only lasted six minutes as Sheldon Dries found a loose puck and his shot was tipped past Mikhail Berdin by Logan O'Connor to tie the game. Berdin made 13 saves in the period as the teams went to the second in a 1-1 draw.
Colorado scored its second of the night, on the power play, 4:48 into the second. A.J. Greer tipped a David Warsofsky point shot to the back of the net for the home side's first lead of the weekend. The Moose were granted a big opportunity to get back on even footing after Colorado was assessed a double-minor for high-sticking, and then two minutes later, a five minute major for boarding. The Moose were patient with the five-on-three and eventually worked Tucker Poolman into a good spot to unleash a one-timer from the top of the faceoff circle and tie the game 2-2 with 7:24 left in the period. The Moose were unable to regain the lead with the time remaining on the major penalty as the score stayed knotted 2-2 into the final frame.
The Manitoba penalty kill was called upon to shut down three Colorado power plays through the first 14 minutes of the third period and keep the game even. The deadlock remained in place through the completion of regulation time as the Moose picked up a crucial point. Logan Shaw nearly ended the game early in the extra frame, cutting into the slot and snapping a wrister off the iron. After regaining possession of the puck on a strong defensive play, Michael Spacek sent Tucker Poolman ahead. The defenceman went to his backhand and whipped the puck past Francouz to give Manitoba the extra point with a 3-2 victory.
With the win, the Moose move into fourth in the Central Division, holding the tie-breaker over the Rockford IceHogs.
Tucker Poolman recorded his first professional overtime winner and two-goal game.
Logan Stanley is on a three game assist streak.
Cameron Schilling has three goals in his past six games. What's Next?
The Moose head south for a key matchup against the Texas Stars on Wednesday. Tune in to the game on TSN 1290, moosehockey.com/listenlive, the Moose App and streaming live on AHLTV starting at 6:45 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Iowa Drops 4-3 Contest to Stockton Heat - Iowa Wild
- McCarron Early, Lazar Late Lead Stockton to Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- Barracuda Upended Late by Tucson, 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Amerks Stage Incredible Third-Period Comeback, Stun Marlies in Overtime to Sweep Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Score Three Unanswered in Win over Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Three-goal second period guides Bridgeport to convincing win against Syracuse - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Fall to Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Megan, Griffins Edge Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Defeat Thunderbirds, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Win Third Straight, Best Bears 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Drop Sunday Contest in Cleveland, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Breeze to Weekend Sweep over Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Keep Rolling with 6-2 Win over Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Dea's Two Goals Not Enough for T-Birds in His Return to Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies and Amerks Close out Back-To-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Game #60 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kings Recall Forward Michael Amadio from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Sabres Recall Pilut - Rochester Americans
- Stockton Aims for Weekend Sweep of Iowa - Stockton Heat
- McIlrath Recalled, Sulak Assigned by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Leier, Luchuk, Head to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Monsters, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Pederson's Hat Trick Powers Roadrunners to Overtime Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Come back for Shootout Point - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Return Home with Shootout Win - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Close Texas Series with 3-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Poolman Helps Moose over Colorado in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Earn Point in Overtime Loss at Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.