Mariners vs. Richmond twice this weekend
Virginia Beach, Virginia Â– The Virginia Beach Mariners will travel I-64 west Saturday to University of Richmond Stadium to take on the archrival Richmond Kickers on Saturday at 7 p.m. The teams then head east on Monday for a rematch at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex on Monday at 6 p.m. The teams played a home and home series four weeks ago, drawing in Richmond 1-1 and Richmond came out on top at the Sportsplex 2-0.
The Mariners are coming off a 2-1 double overtime win against Atlanta on May 22 and a 0-0 draw with Montreal on May 16. The team is 2-1-0 at home and 0-1-2 on the road. The Mariners currently stand in sixth place in the A-LeagueÂ’s Eastern Conference with a record of 2-2-2, for 8 points after six matches.
The Kickers are coming off a 0-1 overtime loss to Atlanta at home on May 23 and a 3-0 win over Puerto Rico on May 15. Richmond is 1-2-1 at home and 2-0-2 on the road. Richmond stands in second place in the Eastern Conference at 3-2-3, earning 12 points in eight matches.
Only five points separate the top six teams in the conference.
The team continues to be led by Dante Washington with two goals and four points, and Jakob Fenger who has one goal and two assists and four points. Including Washington and Fenger, seven different players have scored for the team this season including Jeremy Aldrich, Daniel Alvarez, Hamisi Amani-Dove, Pato Aguilera and Nate Winkel. Washington ranks 20th in the League in points with four points in four games. Goalkeeper Matt Nelson ranks 8th in the League in wins with two in five games.
Richmond is led by midfielder Joey Worthen who has scored three goals and one assist for the Kickers, followed by forward Kevin Jeffrey with two goals. Goalkeeper Ronnie Pascale ranks fourth in the League in goals-against-average of 0.68, first in saves with 49 and tied for third in shutouts with three. Richmond midfielder Richie Williams will be ineligible for SaturdayÂ’s match due to a red card received against Atlanta.
Mariner Team News
Mariner forward Jeremy Aldrich was named to the A-League Team of the Week for his game-winning overtime goal against Atlanta on May 22.
â€¢ Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from May 28, 2004
- Edmonton Aviators Take Another Point On The Road - Edmonton Aviators
- Lynx drop 3-1 decision in Montreal - Toronto Lynx
- Chris Williams no longer an Aviator - Edmonton Aviators
- Edmonton Aviators Women VS. Arizona Heatwave, Edmonton Aviators Men VS. Minnesota Thunder - Edmonton Aviators
- Undefeated Timbers return home to host Milwaukee - Portland Timbers
- Impact hosts Lynx Friday - Montreal Impact
- Battery Plays Silverbacks - Charleston Battery
- Mariners vs. Richmond twice this weekend - Virginia Beach Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week