Mallards Set Single Season Record with 49th Win
The Madison Mallards (49-23, 21-15) swept the Dock Spiders (39-31, 18-18) in Fond du Lac Sunday afternoon, and in doing so, set a franchise record with 49 wins on the season. For the second straight game, the Mallards came from behind with late runs in the eighth inning to take down the Dock Spiders 6-4.
Madison jumped out to a 3-0 lead after three innings, but the first six Dock Spiders hit safely in the bottom of the fourth to take Fond du Lac to a 4-3 lead. David Vinsky (Northwood) tied the game 4-4 in the top of the seventh with a line drive single, to set the stage for the Mallards winning rally. After a lead-off single by Trevor Boone (Oklahoma State) and a sacrifice bunt, Cal Greenfield (Florida) singled in the fifth run for the Mallards through the left side of the infield as Boone was stealing third base. Garrett Kueber's (Austin Peay) single through the right side with two outs led to the final 6-4 score. The Mallards bullpen held the Dock Spiders the rest of the way for the victory.
- Mitch Vogrin (Illinois State) earned the win by pitching a scoreless seventh and eighth innings with four strikeouts
- Karston Lee (Menlo College) pitched a scoreless ninth inning for the save
- Nick Gile (Madison College) contributed two hits, two runs scored and a stolen base to the Mallards 12-hit attack
- Tyler Plantier (Richmond) continued his torrid hitting with two singles and a walk
- David Vinsky added two hits, an RBI, and a walk
The 2018 Northwoods League Playoffs begin Monday, August 13 at Warner Park. The Mallards will again host the Dock Spiders in a sudden death elimination game. Gates open at 5:30 PM. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
Four teams from both the North and the South Division have qualified for the playoffs. In the North Division, Bismarck will host Duluth, and Willmar will host Mankato. The other South Division match-up features the Kalamazoo Growlers at the second half champion Kenosha Kingfish. Divisional winners will play against each other in another sudden death game on Tuesday night. Should the Mallards advance to the Divisional Championship, they will host Tuesday night as well. Due to their franchise record 49 wins and best record overall in the Northwoods League in 2018, the Mallards would also have home field advantage for the best two out of three game Summer Collegiate World Series. Tickets are on sale for all playoff games. Get your playoff tickets on MallardsBaseball.com and help us pack the pond.
Listen to all Mallards game action on the Zone, 1670 AM, 96.7 FM. During the playoffs, an extended Zone Pre-Game Show will begin 20 minutes before first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Woodchucks End Season with a Win - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Win Season Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kalamazoo Growlers End Season with Rivalry Cup Win - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Bullfrogs Fall to Rafters in Season Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Finish up Historic Regular Season in Style - Willmar Stingers
- Rox Finish 2018 Season with 9-2 Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Set Single Season Record with 49th Win - Madison Mallards
- Duluth Knocks off Bismarck to Finish Regular Season - Duluth Huskies
- Dock Spiders Fall in Final Regular Season Meeting to Mallards - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bucks End Season with 6-4 Loss to Honkers - Waterloo Bucks
- Stingers Playoff Tickets on Sale - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers End Season on High Note - Rochester Honkers
- Rivets Lose Season Finale - Rockford Rivets
- Northwoods League Announces 2018 Postseason All-Star Team - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters Close Season in Green Bay - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Two Rox Pitchers Voted Postseason All-Stars, Hughes Named Announcer of Year - St. Cloud Rox
- Northwoods League Announces 2018 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Stingers Defeat Border Cats to Start Final Series of the Season - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City
- Mallards Compete against Traverse City for Great Lakes Championship
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs