Mallards Looking to Swim Past Chinooks for a Sweep
MADISON, Wis. - Last night the Madison Mallards, playing as the Wisconsin Cheese Curds, (32-17) hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the tenth to defeat the Lakeshore Chinooks (21-28) 8-7. The victory marked the fourth walk-off of the summer for Madison, the second in Curd uniforms.
Tonight, the two teams are back at Warner Park to conclude their series. The Mallards have a chance to grab their eleventh sweep of the season. Yesterday's victory makes the overall record between the two teams 7-1, in favor of the Mallards.
On the mound tonight for the Mallards is RHP Lowell Schipper (Richmond). Schipper is making his ninth start of the season, his first since returning from the All-Star game. In his All-Star appearance, Schipper pitched two-thirds of an inning for the Great Lakes West division. Over his eight starts he has pitched 41 innings, earning 41 strikeouts and allowing only 20 walks. Schipper holds a 4-1 win record and a 1.97 ERA. Schipper currently leads the Mallards pitching staff in strikeouts.
The evening will be The Lion King Night at the Duck Pond, presented by Marcus Theatres. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m., gates will open at 5:35 p.m. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 19, 2019
- MoonDogs Sweep Bucks in Two-Day Doubleheader - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Drown in Defensive Errors to Split Series with Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Snap Winless Drought - Willmar Stingers
- Bombers Offense Explodes on Throwback Night - Battle Creek Bombers
- Home Runs Propel Kingfish to 3-2 Win over Rafters - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters Rally Falls Short in Five-Inning Game - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Huskies Get Third Consecutive Sweep with 11-4 Win against Thunder Bay - Duluth Huskies
- Kalamazoo's Struggles Continue, Get Swept at Kokomo - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Routed 11-1 by Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Look to Continue Streak against Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Six game win streak catapults Huskies into 1st place - Duluth Huskies
- Larks Fall to the Rox - Bismarck Larks
- Rivets Explode for 13 Runs against Battle Creek - Rockford Rivets
- Mallards Looking to Swim Past Chinooks for a Sweep - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Hold on to Top Express 5-3 - La Crosse Loggers
- Chinooks Drop First Game after Break - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Offense Produces in Seventh Straight Win - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City
- Mallards Compete against Traverse City for Great Lakes Championship
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs