Mad Ants and Meyer Split Ways
Fort Wayne, IN (January 6, 2012) - The Fort Wayne Mad Ants announced today their mutual decision that Joey Meyer will no longer be the head coach of the team. Steve Gansey has been named interim head coach effective immediately.
"Joey is a wonderful man, and we have been lucky to have him as a part of this organization for the past two and half years," said Mad Ants President Jeff Potter. "Unfortunately, we have not had the success on the court that we would have hoped, and, after meeting with Joey, we both decided that the we needed a new voice to lead our team and chart a new course."
"I have truly enjoyed my time in Fort Wayne, and I thank the organization for the opportunity to coach this team." said Meyer. "We did not have the ultimate success we all hoped for, but we had some great moments here in Fort Wayne, and I will look back on my time here fondly. I wish the Mad Ants and the Fort Wayne community all the best now and in the future."
This decision comes in the middle of Meyer's 11th season in the NBA Development League and his 3rd with the Mad Ants. Meyer's record as head coach of the Mad Ants was 51-64, and 5-10 this season.
Gansey, a 26-year-old graduate of Ashland University, has served as Meyer's assistant coach for the past two and a half seasons. He will take the reins tomorrow night as the team takes on the Canton Charge in Canton for a 7:30pm game.
Coach Gansey and Jeff Potter will be available to the media on Saturday, January 7th at 1:00pm at the Mad Ants office, 1910 St. Joe Center Rd, Suite 61.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 6, 2012
- Vipers Fall at Home as Morris Pours in 33 in Debut - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Charge Rout Mad Ants - Canton Charge
- Energy's Strong Second Half Too Much for Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Boost Front Court with Mavericks Help - Texas Legends
- Dallas Mavericks Assign Yi and Williams to NBA D-League Affiliate Texas Legends - G League
- NBA TV to Broadcast NBA Development League Showcase Tipping off January 9 - G League
- Erie Acquires Veteran NBA Point Guard - Erie BayHawks
- NBA D-League Update - G League
- Mad Ants and Meyer Split Ways - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.