Mad Ant Defense Hounds Westchester
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Mad Ants came just short of a franchise record for steals in a game as they topped Westchester on Saturday night during the annual Hoops & Hounds Night in Fort Wayne. The Mad Ants recorded 18 steals in the 132-104 victory over the Knicks.
The Mad Ants pushed out to a first quarter lead on the shooting hand of Isaiah Jackson. On assignment from the Indiana Pacers, the 6-foot-10 forward hit all three of his first quarter attempts from long range and was 5-of-5 from the field in the first, scoring 15 points in the frame. While Westchester held strong much of the quarter, their 0-of-8 shooting from three point range in the frame saw them trail 29-22 after one.
The second quarter saw Justin Anderson explode in his first game back with Fort Wayne since before the Winter Showcase. Anderson scored nine points in the frame that was highlighted by dunks from him and Gabe York both. Dewan Hernandez totaled eight points and five rebounds in the quarter to head into halftime with a 14 point, 10 rebound double double, but Fort Wayne still led 66-49 with just one lead change in the entire half.
Fort Wayne reached the 100 point mark in the third quarter with their second 37 point quarter of the night, but it was Westchester that took momentum into the fourth with a deep buzzer beating three pointer from Alan Griffin. Fort Wayne led 103-70 heading into the fourth.
In the final frame, Westchester played their most even quarter since the opening frame, but the lead for Fort Wayne was too big to cut into.
Jackson's 25 points paced a balanced Fort Wayne effort, followed by 23 points and six steals from Nate Hinton and another Terry Taylor double double of 22 points and 12 rebounds. Walt Lemon Jr. had his first double double of the season with 10 points and 12 assists.
Hernandez finished with 25 points and 14 rebounds to lead the Knicks, while Brandon Williams added 23 points and Griffin scored 21.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2022
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to Texas Legends, 136-132 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Force Drops 113-105 Contest to Hustle - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Greensboro Swarm Defeated by Capital City Go-Go - Greensboro Swarm
- Mad Ant Defense Hounds Westchester - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Special Olympics Takeover Tonight, Driven by Toyota - Texas Legends
- Maine Celtics Charge Past Cleveland - Maine Celtics
- Stars to Host Lakers at Bruin Arena on February 17 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Indiana Pacers Assign Goga Bitadze and Isaiah Jackson to the Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Maine Celtics Coach Takes Leave - Maine Celtics
- The Journey Continues: Chalmers Ready to Help Lead Skyforce, Show He Still Has 'It' - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Clippers Coast Past Stockton Behind 28 From Darling - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Clippers Coast to 106-91 Victory over the Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Moody's Fourth-Quarter Frenzy Falls Short in Texas - Texas Legends
- Stars Shine in Victory over Lakers - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.