Lugs' 8th Straight Win Comes in 12-2 Blowout
LANSING, Mich. - The Lansing Lugnuts (26-13) won their eighth consecutive game, scoring five runs in both the fifth and the sixth innings to thump the Dayton Dragons (18-18), 12-2, on a Winning Wednesday at Cooley Law School Stadium.
The Lugnuts improved to 7-0 against the Dayton Dragons in the season series, setting up the potential for a second four-game home sweep of Dayton on Thursday. In those seven wins, the Nuts are averaging nine runs per game.
Reigning Midwest Player of the Week Kevin Smith blasted a two-run homer in the fifth, his sixth home run of the season, and then added a three-run double in the sixth - that center fielder Stuart Fairchild lost off the bat - to lead the Lugnuts' offense. Smith finished 2-for-5 with five RBIs, raising his batting average to .379 and his league-leading RBI total to 38.
Dayton starting pitcher Packy Naughton (Loss, 3-3) took the brunt of the damage, allowing seven runs on two walks and five hits, including Smith's roundtripper and a two-run homer by Brock Lundquist, the right fielder's team-leading eighth of the year.
Lansing starter Yennsy Diaz (Win, 4-1) allowed a home run to Jeter Downs leading off the game and tossed a run-scoring wild pitch, but nothing further in six innings, his fourth quality start of the year.
Dany Jimenez struck out three batters while blanking Dayton in the seventh and eighth innings, and Andy Ravel faced the minimum in the ninth.
Smith, Lundquist, Norberto Obeso and Yeltsin Gudiño each collected two hits for the Lugnuts in the winning cause, while Obeso, Smith, Gudiño and Matt Morgan each scored two runs.
Lugnuts right-hander Graham Spraker (2.51 ERA) takes the ball on a Labatt Thirsty Thursday with a pregame Beer Mile and $2 beer/wine specials and half off craft beers. Dayton counters with right-hander Wendolyn Bautista. First pitch is 7:05 p.m. To purchase tickets and live the Lug Life, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 16, 2018
- Farrar's Milestone Hit Pushes Snappers to Late Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Carrier's Home Run Not Enough Wednesday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugs' 8th Straight Win Comes in 12-2 Blowout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beloit Snaps Tie with Three Runs in Ninth Inning - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Finish off Sweep of Doubleheader with 8-4 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Homer Past Hot Rods, 10-5 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Franklin Paces Hot Rods over Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Big Innings Lift Lugnuts over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Use Big Sixth Inning to Take Down Cougars 9-3 - Burlington Bees
- Pruitt Returns to DL, Polizzi Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Javier Dazzles as Bandits Best Kernels 6-2 in Wednesday's Opener - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Twin Bill Opener Won by Quad Cities - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Patino Shines in TinCaps Debut - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings blow five-run leads, fall out of first - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Rally to Win Seventh Straight, Take Over First Place - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Drop Wednesday Matinee - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Set for IGS Energy's "Little Big Leagues" Takeover - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Co-Host Inaugural Military Honor & Appreciation Fair on Memorial Day - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons to Participate in Great American Cleanup - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 16 vs. West Michigan (Game 38) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Adell's Big Night Sinks Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Clutch 'Caps Capture 4-1 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.