LouCity Clinches a Playoff Spot with No. 1 Seed in Its Sights
Thanks to other results around the USL Championship, Louisville City FC is headed back to the playoffs for its sixth season in as many years of existence.
The boys in purple were assured their position Wednesday night once Saint Louis FC's game at Indy Eleven went official. Now, with two regular-season games left to play, LouCity can turn its focus toward earning a No. 1 seed and host status in the playoffs' opening round.
During an abbreviated 2020 season impacted by COVID-19, clubs were slotted into regionalized groups. The top-two finishers from each pod advance to the playoffs, with LouCity guaranteed at least second in Group E.
According to FiveThirtyEight.com, the club has a better than 98% chance of finishing first. Should that happen, meaning LouCity hosts an opening round of 16 playoff game, Honorary Owners have already been contacted about opting into tickets at no additional cost. Any single-game tickets would go on sale later; sign up here to be notified first .
The boys in purple are unbeaten since the start of August, a spree of nine straight games that has seen them climb from fourth - and last - in Group E to the top of the table.
"We have never wavered in our belief of our principles and our process," said coach John Hackworth. "However, in order to overcome our slow restart, we had to couple our trust in each other with perseverance in our collective. Answering that call of adversity is a defining character of this group."
LouCity closes its regular season by playing at Saint Louis FC on Saturday before welcoming Sporting KC II to Lynn Family Stadium for an Oct. 3 finale.
The playoffs, which begin Oct. 8-11, are also regionalized with East and West sides of the bracket. To start, Group E's 1 and 2 seeds will match up against Group F's 2 and 1, respectively. Better seeds host opening-round games; record will determine home teams beyond that.
After the Conference Quarterfinals are the Conference Semifinals (Oct. 15-18), Conference Finals (Oct. 22-25) and then the USL Championship Final on Nov. 1. The Final will mark the first USL game to air on ESPN with kickoff scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET.
In its six-year history, LouCity has yet to fall short of the Eastern Conference Final. The boys in purple own two USL titles - in 2017 and 2018 - and returned to the Final in 2019. They're vying to become the first three-time USL champion in the playoffs era.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 23, 2020
- INDvSTL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
- STLFC Holds on for 1-1 Draw against Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Atlanta United 2 Defeats New York Red Bulls II 5-3 in Home Finale - Atlanta United 2
- Indy Eleven Secures Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw Against Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- Jacks Held by Miami FC in 0-0 Draw - Charlotte Independence
- Philadelphia Union II Rally to Tie Hartford Athletic - Philadelphia Union II
- It's a Draw - Hartford Athletic
- LouCity Clinches a Playoff Spot with No. 1 Seed in Its Sights - Louisville City FC
- LAFC Loan Goalkeeper Phillip Ejimadu to SD Loyal - San Diego Loyal
- Indomitable Soccer Dream Comes True with New Power Chair - Sacramento Republic FC
- Collaborative U-12 Program Creates Opportunity for Future Academy Players - Sacramento Republic FC
- Alex Dixon Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina Football Club Collaborates with DJ Taylor and DJKT Apparel for BLM T-Shirt Benefiting the BLM Global Network Foundation - North Carolina FC
- USL Championship Final to Air on ESPN and ESPN Deportes - USL
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 14 - USL
- FC Tulsa and Williams Announce Multiyear Jersey Front Sponsorship - FC Tulsa
- LouCity's Lancaster, Ownby Earn USL Team of the Week Spots - Louisville City FC
- Austin Bold FC Jump into Playoff Spot with 4-0 Win over Sporting Kansas City II - Austin Bold FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- ECNL Launches Super Cup, a Robust 'First Team' Platform for Nation's Top Players
- Academy Partners with 91st Minute Training on Soccer-Specific Conditioning
- U.S. Youth International Watts Re-Ups with LouCity
- McCabe to Continue Unprecedented Run with LouCity
- Leading Scorer Lancaster Staying with LouCity on Multiyear Deal