LouCity's Lancaster, Ownby Earn USL Team of the Week Spots
Louisville City FC's peaking late in the USL Championship season, and the latest Team of the Week reflects it.
A pair of goal contributors from a 2-0 win at Indy Eleven and 4-1 win over Memphis 901 FC - Cameron Lancaster and Brian Ownby - both cemented spots among the league's best 11 players announced Tuesday.
Lancaster, who registered goal Nos. 49-51 for his career with LouCity across all competitions, also tallied an assist last week. His scoring strikes included a volleyed rebound to put the boys in purple ahead at Indy and a nifty back-heeled goal in the second half of the Memphis win at Lynn Family Stadium.
A forward from England, Lancaster likewise reached 50 regular-season USL goals. Among the select group of players to reach that milestone, he's scoring at the most effluent rate, according to USL Director of Content Nicholas Murray, with a goal every 114.8 minutes played.
Ownby, who came off the bench in Indy, played a soft touch in behind the defense and to Corben Bone for a goal that doubled the lead late. As a starter against Memphis, he scored his first goal of the season on a curling shot from distance and assisted Lancaster's opening goal.
USL Championship Team of the Week - Week 13
GK - Abraham Romero, LA Galaxy II: Romero recorded eight saves, made two punched clearances and one high claim to help keep Los Dos in the game as it rallied for a 3-2 victory against Las Vegas Lights FC last Tuesday night.
D - Forrest Lasso, Tampa Bay Rowdies: Lasso scored once, recorded three interceptions and five clearances, and won 5 of 8 duels and 4 of 4 aerial duels in Tampa Bay's 2-1 victory against Atlanta United 2.
D - Alex Crognale, Birmingham Legion FC: Crognale scored twice and helped Legion FC hold Miami FC to only two shots on target as he recorded six clearances defensively in Birmingham's 4-0 road victory last Wednesday night.
D - Sam Fink, Saint Louis FC: Fink scored a crucial game-winning goal in stoppage time to add to an earlier assist as Saint Louis kept its postseason hopes alive with a 3-2 victory against Sporting Kansas City II on Saturday night.
D - Aaron Maund, Charlotte Independence: Maund scored the lone goal of the game, won 6 of 8 duels and 5 of 7 aerial duels, made 11 clearances and completed 35 of 43 passes as the Independence defeated North Carolina FC.
M - Brian Ownby, Louisville City FC: Ownby recorded one goal and two assists across two wins, completing 41 of 49 passes and 3 of 5 dribbles and recording six chances created as LouCity defeated Indy Eleven and Memphis 901 FC.
M - Jorge Gonzalez, Portland Timbers 2: Gonzalez recorded two goals and one assist across two games, completing 50 of 60 passes overall and recording five chances created as T2 defeat Real Monarchs SLC before falling to Reno 1868 FC.
M - Christiano Francois, Reno 1868 FC: Francois scored twice in Reno's 5-2 victory against the Portland Timbers 2 on Sunday, and across two wins for 1868 FC against Tacoma Defiance and the Portland Timbers 2 over the week completed 34 of 41 passes and recorded five chances created.
F - Cameron Lancaster, Louisville City FC: Lancaster recorded three goals and one assist across two victories against Indy Eleven and Memphis 901 FC, and in the process reached 50 regular season goals in the Championship for his career.
F - Rubio Rubin, San Diego Loyal SC: Rubin scored a first-half hat trick for SD Loyal as it took a 3-2 victory against Phoenix Rising FC for its third win in a row, keeping the club's hopes of a playoff berth in its inaugural season alive.
F - Alex Dixon, Hartford Athletic: Dixon scored three goals across two victories against the New York Red Bulls II and Philadelphia Union II that saw the Athletic clinch a trip to the playoffs in its second season.
Bench: Matt Cardone (SA), Younes Boudadi (RNO), Marcus Epps (POR), Augustine Williams (LA), Neco Brett (BHM), Jordan Perruzza (SA), Junior Flemmings (PHX).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 23, 2020
- INDvSTL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
- STLFC Holds on for 1-1 Draw against Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Atlanta United 2 Defeats New York Red Bulls II 5-3 in Home Finale - Atlanta United 2
- Indy Eleven Secures Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw Against Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- Jacks Held by Miami FC in 0-0 Draw - Charlotte Independence
- Philadelphia Union II Rally to Tie Hartford Athletic - Philadelphia Union II
- It's a Draw - Hartford Athletic
- LouCity Clinches a Playoff Spot with No. 1 Seed in Its Sights - Louisville City FC
- LAFC Loan Goalkeeper Phillip Ejimadu to SD Loyal - San Diego Loyal
- Indomitable Soccer Dream Comes True with New Power Chair - Sacramento Republic FC
- Collaborative U-12 Program Creates Opportunity for Future Academy Players - Sacramento Republic FC
- Alex Dixon Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina Football Club Collaborates with DJ Taylor and DJKT Apparel for BLM T-Shirt Benefiting the BLM Global Network Foundation - North Carolina FC
- USL Championship Final to Air on ESPN and ESPN Deportes - USL
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 14 - USL
- FC Tulsa and Williams Announce Multiyear Jersey Front Sponsorship - FC Tulsa
- LouCity's Lancaster, Ownby Earn USL Team of the Week Spots - Louisville City FC
- Austin Bold FC Jump into Playoff Spot with 4-0 Win over Sporting Kansas City II - Austin Bold FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- McCabe to Continue Unprecedented Run with LouCity
- Leading Scorer Lancaster Staying with LouCity on Multiyear Deal
- LouCity Ushers in Next Chapter with Rebrand, New Logo
- Totsch Locked in as Latest Returner; 'This Has Truly Become My Home'
- All-League Defender Totsch Locked in for 2021 Season