Liz Leads 1-0 Blanking of Sky Sox
PORTLAND, Ore. - Radhames Liz struck out eight in his Portland debut and teamed with three Beavers relievers on a four-hit, 1-0 shutout over the Colorado Springs Sky Sox Monday night at PGE Park.
Liz, who joined the organization in the off-season from Baltimore, worked five innings and faced just two batters over the minimum for the Beavers (3-2), who have won three straight. The right-hander allowed just three hits and did not issue a walk.
Liz (1-0) was backed by solid relief efforts from Luis Perdomo, Ryan Webb and Ernesto Frieri, who picked up his first save in a Portland uniform. Frieri fanned the side in order in the ninth to close the door on Portland's first shutout of the season. In all, Beavers pitchers combined for 14 strikeouts and allowed just one walk.
The Sky Sox (2-3), who have been held to just eight runs over their first five games, managed just one hit over the final five innings.
The Beavers, who were held to three hits, were finally able to break through with a run in the fifth. Mike Baxter drew a leadoff walk and eventually scored from third on a sac fly to center by pinch-hitter Craig Stansberry.
Reliever Damian Moss (0-1) took the loss for the Sky Sox, issuing three walks and surrendering the lone run of the game in the fifth.
The series continues Tuesday at PGE Park. First pitch is 7:05 p.m.
NOTES: Earlier in the day, the Padres recalled Portland pitcher Adam Russell. Also, right-hander Alexis Lara was transferred to Portland from Class A Lake Elsinore ... Chris Denorfia extended his season-opening hitting streak to five games with a fourth-inning single.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 12, 2010
- Isotopes Outlast Zephyrs in Home Opener, 14-8 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Liz Leads 1-0 Blanking of Sky Sox - Portland Beavers
- Benson Pitches Reno Past Salt Lake, 7-2 - Reno Aces
- Z's Drop Road Opener - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Ramirez Leads Round Rock Express Past Oklahoma City, 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Earn First Victory in 2010 - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Rally Late Against Royals, Improve To 5-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Adam Russell Recalled By San Diego; Alexis Lara Added To Active - Portland Beavers
- Reckless Kelly Softball Jam Returns April 25 - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Opening Homestand Packed With Fun, Value - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sky Sox Opening Weekend Packed With Exciting Promotions - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss