Lights FC Highlights of the Week
| GOAL OF THE WEEK |
Junior Sandoval is making the most since being traded from Memphis 901 FC to Lights FC. Eric Wynalda has used the Honduran midfielder as a starter in all three games since he was added to the team's roster, and against Sacramento Republic FC he fired a rocket from 30 yards out that ended in the back of the net for the fourth score in the game for Las Vegas in their 4-2 win.
His incredible strike was selected by the league's fans as USL Championship Goal of the Week for week 9. CLICK HERE for video of Sandoval's goal.
| PARRA SELECTED TO TOTW |
Lights FC forward Irvin Raul Parra was selected to USL Championship's team of the week for his week 9 performance against Republic FC. Parra opened the floodgates for Las Vegas by leveling the score with Sacramento 1-1, this was his fifth goal of the year. He followed it up with a pair of assists that elevated his season total to 3. He leads the team in both goals and assists.
This is his second Team of the Week recognition in the 2019 season, both times he finished second in the voting for Player of the Week. | CALLING ALL SOCCER MOMS |
As part of Mother's Day Weekend celebrations, moms who attend Cashman Field on May 11 driving a minivan will receive complimentary parking ahead of Lights FC's match against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC that night.
That day, merchandise for women both at the team store inside Cashman Field and at the Zappos Tailgate will have a special 50% discount in commemoration of the special weekend. | ECHAVARRIA DEBUTS |
On Saturday, May 4 a childhood dream became a reality for Santiago Echavarría, who made his debut as a professional soccer player. The Colombia native was subbed in for Sammy Ochoa against Republic FC and less than 10 minutes afterward he scored a goal to give Lights FC a 3-1 lead versus Sacramento. To put the cherry on top, he did this on his mother's birthday. Read more about this special story at LightsFC.com/Santi | US OPEN CUP OPPONENT DETERMINED |
With Cal FC defeating FC Mulhouse Portland in First Round action of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, Cal FC guaranteed their spot in the next phase of the single elimination tournament and became Lights FC's opponent in the Second Round.
Cashman Field will host its first ever US Open Cup game on Tuesday, May 14 with Lights FC hosting Cal FC. Eric Wynalda has a strong connection to Cal FC, as he was the head coach of the team when it made an incredible run into the Fourth Round of the competition after defeating USL's Wilmington 4-1 in regulation and MLS side Portland Timbers 1-0 in added time.
6 Lights FC players on the team roster won't be able to participate in this tournament as they are "Cup-Tied" to other squads they played for in qualifying rounds: Kevin Garcia Lopez, Gabe Robinson, Cristhian Hernandez, Bryan de la Fuente, Eric Gonzalezand Irvin Parra.
| SOCCER CLINIC FOR KIDS |
Kids ages 5-12 are welcome to join Lights FC players on the pitch on Tuesday, May 14 and be a part of the "As Easy As ABC Soccer Clinic" presented by ABC Hyundai. Members of Lights FC's roster will put the kids through different drills from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Those interested in participating must have a ticket to the US Open Cup match to take place that night at 7:30 p.m. between Las Vegas Lights FC and Cal FC. Check-in will start at 5:30 p.m. at the Zappos Gate .
Images from this story
Santiago Echavarria of Las Vegas Lights FC
Las Vegas Lights FC in action
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 11, 2019
- Reno Defeats Sacramento Republic FC 4-1 - Reno 1868 FC
- Switchbacks FC Lost to Las Vegas Lights FC 3-0 on Saturday Night - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Falls to Louisville City FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Continues Unbeaten Streak at Home with 0-0 Draw vs. Orange County Sc - San Antonio FC
- Independence Blighted by Loudoun - Charlotte Independence
- Battery Draw 0-0 in Defensive Battle against St. Louis FC - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Win 3-1 against Charlotte Independence on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville SC Blitzes Swope Park Rangers 5-1 at First Tennessee Park: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- STLFC Draws 0-0 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Lights FC Highlights of the Week - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Bethlehem Steel FC - Atlanta United 2
- Phoenix Rising Stays Perfect on $1 Beer Night Following 3-1 Win over Rio Grande Valley - Phoenix Rising FC
- Toros Upset by Rising - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Bolster Roster with Loan from MLS FC Cincinnati
- Yallop to Manage Lights FC Through 2020 Season
- Provisional Return to Play Date Set for 2020
- July 11 set as provisional return to play date for the 2020 season
- "Pick Your Prize" 4-Pack: Lights FC Announce Best Individual Ticket Offer Yet