Phoenix Rising Stays Perfect on $1 Beer Night Following 3-1 Win over Rio Grande Valley
PHOENIX - Phoenix Rising cruised to another $1 Beer Night win, taking down Rio Grande Valley 3-1 behind a brace from forward Adam Jahn and an additional goal from midfielder James Musa. The sellout crowd of 6,715 fans also watched the club win its tenth consecutive match (out of ten) on $1 Beer Night.
Jahn opened the scoring in the 16th minute. Forward Junior Flemmings sent in a curling cross into the center of the box from the right side of the pitch. Jahn redirected the cross with a flick to send the ball past the goalkeeper and inside the far left post to make it 1-0.
Less than ten minutes later Jahn drew a penalty shot after the Rio Grande Valley goalkeeper took him down in the box. Jahn cooly stepped to the spot and converted a panenka, a lofted shot that fooled the goalkeeper and floated just above his outstretched arm and into the back of the net to double the lead.
Musa capped off the scoring in the 69th minute. After collecting a ball kicked out of the box, Musa settled himself and took a rocket of a shot from about 30 yards away to beat the keeper to the lower right corner of the net for the 3-0 lead.
Rio Grande Valley got a goal back in the 71st minutes off the boot of Maalique Foster, but the Toros' couldn't capitalize on the slight change in momentum.
The Toros had a chance to get back into the match earlier but goalkeeper Zac Lubin kept them off the board. In the 50th minute Lubin stopped Rio Grande Valley's Jesús Enríquez when he took a low shot toward the right side of the net. The rebound kicked out to Wilmer Cabrera, who took his chance but was also denied by Lubin pushing aside the shot. The ball bounced off the post and fell to Michael Salazar, but he missed wide right.
In addition to winning its tenth consecutive $1 Beer Night, Phoenix Rising also earned its eighth consecutive sellout of the season. The club returns to Casino Arizona Field on Wednesday, May 15, for the second round of the U.S. Open Cup against New Mexico United. The match kicks off at 7:30 p.m.
PHOENIX RISING FC 3-1 RIO GRANDE VALLEY FC
PHX: 15', 9-Adam Jahn (7-Junior Flemmings)
PHX: 28', 9-Adam Jahn (PK)
PHX: 69', 41-James Musa
RGV: 72', 9-Maalique Foster
Starting XI: 28-Zac Lubin; 13-Amadou Dia, 3-A.J. Cochran, 15-Joey Farrell, 24-Mustapha Dumbuya; 41-James Musa, 10-Jon Bakero, 27-Kevon Lambert, 7-Junior Flemmings (75', 19-Jose Aguinaga), 21-Joey Calistri; 9-Adam Jahn (81', 22-Ben Spencer)
Subs not used: 1-Carl Woszczynski, 2-Doueugui Mala, 16-Austin Ledbetter, 32-Kyle Bjournethon
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 11, 2019
- Reno Defeats Sacramento Republic FC 4-1 - Reno 1868 FC
- Switchbacks FC Lost to Las Vegas Lights FC 3-0 on Saturday Night - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Falls to Louisville City FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Continues Unbeaten Streak at Home with 0-0 Draw vs. Orange County Sc - San Antonio FC
- Independence Blighted by Loudoun - Charlotte Independence
- Battery Draw 0-0 in Defensive Battle against St. Louis FC - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Win 3-1 against Charlotte Independence on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville SC Blitzes Swope Park Rangers 5-1 at First Tennessee Park: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- STLFC Draws 0-0 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Lights FC Highlights of the Week - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Bethlehem Steel FC - Atlanta United 2
- Phoenix Rising Stays Perfect on $1 Beer Night Following 3-1 Win over Rio Grande Valley - Phoenix Rising FC
- Toros Upset by Rising - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Rising Releases Full Schedule for Resumption of 2020 Season
- Phoenix Rising and the USL Championship to Become First Professional American Sports League to Return to Play in Its Local Markets
- USL Championship to Allow Five Substitutions for 2020 Season
- Phoenix Rising FC to Return to Full-Contact Training this Week
- Forward Alex Krzykos Becomes the Fifth Academy Player to Sign with Phoenix Rising FC