Battery Draw 0-0 in Defensive Battle against St. Louis FC
The Charleston Battery played to a 0-0 draw against St. Louis FC on Saturday night at MUSC Health Stadium. Charleston and St. Louis extended their respective unbeaten streaks at home and on the road in a physical battle between two of the league's best defenses.
St. Louis opened the stronger team with quality chances in the first ten minutes of the match. Albert Dikwa provided the best chance for St. Louis, a cross to the feet of forward Kyle Greig, but the shot was up and over the crossbar. "Yeah, I think they watched us and caught us off guard in the first couple minutes of the match," said coach Anhaeuser. "We settled down after that and we played very well defensively for the rest of the match.
Nico Rittmeyer and Zeiko Lewis looked dangerous as the Battery searched for a way to break down the St. Louis backline. Rittmeyer consistently pressured St. Louis down the left sending in crosses towards forward Arthur Bosua, and cutting in on his right foot for a shot. Rittmeyer would be subbed off in the 76th minute after picking up an injury.
Lewis made use of his quick feet and impressive touch to create one of the best chances for the Battery in the 28th minute. Dante Marini loffted a ball into Lewis who extended his leg and brought the ball down off his chest before chipping two St. Louis defenders towards Bosua who missed just wide on a diving header.
Goalkeeper Joe Kuzminsky did his fair share in earning a point for the Battery in the hard-fought draw. Kuzminsky was put to the test early in the match following a St. Louis free kick from twenty yards out in the 3rd minute of play. It was a decent free kick that made it over the Battery wall, but it was handled comfortably by Kuzminsky.
Greig would force another save from Kuzminsky in the 80th minute on a powerful shot from outside the eighteen. "It was a pretty even fight for the whole 90 minutes, we had our chances and they had theirs," said Kuzminsky. "It took us a while to see what they were doing up top and make the proper adjustments. In the end, it's a point and something to work on for our next match."
Saturday nights draw is the first of three matches the Battery will play over the next week. The Battery head to Greenville on Wednesday to take on Greenville Triumph SC in the second round of the U.S. Open Cup. "We have to go on the road for the next two matches. We've got guys coming off of injuries and we need to be careful how we manage minutes for all of our guys," said Anhaeuser. "Some of the younger guys are going to need to step up.
The Battery return to USL Championship action next Saturday in Indianapolis as they square off against Indy Eleven. Both matches can be streamed on ESPN+ and join us on May 18th at the Three Lions Pub for the official watch party!
CHARLESTON: Kuzminsky, van Schaik, Mueller (YC 90+3), Nelson (YC 63'), Rittmeyer (Paterson 76'), Candela (YC 56'), Anunga, Piggott (YC 51'), Marini (Daley 64'), Bosua, Lewis (Higashi 71')
Substitutes: Breno, Paterson, Mason, Higashi, Daley, Svantesson
ST. LOUIS: Fenlason, Bahner (YC 24'), Kavita, Fink, Jepson (Dacres 62'), Hilton (Umar 88', YC 89'), Cicerone (Gee 85'), Dikwa, Abend, Reynolds, Greig
Substitutes: Schulte, Gee, Dacres, Martz, Umar
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 11, 2019
- Reno Defeats Sacramento Republic FC 4-1 - Reno 1868 FC
- Switchbacks FC Lost to Las Vegas Lights FC 3-0 on Saturday Night - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Falls to Louisville City FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Continues Unbeaten Streak at Home with 0-0 Draw vs. Orange County Sc - San Antonio FC
- Independence Blighted by Loudoun - Charlotte Independence
- Battery Draw 0-0 in Defensive Battle against St. Louis FC - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Win 3-1 against Charlotte Independence on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville SC Blitzes Swope Park Rangers 5-1 at First Tennessee Park: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- STLFC Draws 0-0 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Lights FC Highlights of the Week - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Bethlehem Steel FC - Atlanta United 2
- Phoenix Rising Stays Perfect on $1 Beer Night Following 3-1 Win over Rio Grande Valley - Phoenix Rising FC
- Toros Upset by Rising - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston Battery Stories
- Charleston Battery Is Back
- Battery Launch Holy City Heroes T-Shirt to Support COVID-19 Efforts
- Battery Unveil 2020 Apparel in Support of MUSC
- Charleston Battery, Hartford Athletic Match Postponed
- Battery Open 2020 USL Championship Season with Three Points against Atlanta United 2