Toros Upset by Rising
PHOENIX, Arizona - Rio Grande Valley FC (3-4-3, 12 pts.) fall to Phoenix Rising FC (3-2-5, 14 pts.), 1-3, on Friday night. The Toros five game unbeaten record has been snapped by the Rising's attack.
The Rising opened the match with a goal by Adam Jahn in the 16th minute after he received a cross by Junior Flemmings. Jahn took a right footed shot from the center of the box to the bottom left corner going past goalkeeper Michael Nelson. Phoenix got another opportunity at goal when Nelson conceded a penalty after he attempted to deflect a through ball but unfortunately, committed a foul on Jahn. Jahn converted the penalty into his second goal of the night, earning himself a brace, 0-2.
Phoenix scored the third goal of the night when Robert Coronado conceded a corner kick. James Musa had a two-touch shot where he sent the ball from outside the box to the bottom right corner not allowing Nelson to get his hands on it, 0-3. Two minutes later, RGV FC Jesus Enriquez took a shot from the left side of the box but missed. Maalique Foster gained possession of the ball after the attempt and sent it to the top center of the goal past goalkeeper Zac Lubin, 1-3.
Although the Toros were defeated tonight, they totaled 18 shots and 5 on goal. One of the key shots that were taken was by Enriquez when he sent a right footed curler but Lubin deflects at the bottom of the goal. Enriquez took part in another dangerous attack when himself, Wilmer A. Cabrera and Michael Salazar all had attempts at goal within one minute but Lubin was solid underneath the goal.
Nelson had one key save in the 61st minute when Kevon Lambert shoot a shot from outside the box to the right side of the goal, but Nelson managed to deflect it with his left hand. Nelson ended the night with two saves. Kyle Adams totaled five clearances adding on one interception, one block and an 85.3% passing accuracy. Captain Conor Donovan played a major role with five tackles, three clearances, two interceptions and adding 11 gained possessions and an 84.6% passing accuracy.
On the offensive side, Enriquez, Romilio Hernandez and Wilmer A. Cabrera totaled four shots tonight. Enriquez and Cabrera also had two shots on target. Hernandez totaled two blocked shots and two key passes. Salazar totaled three shots tonight with two blocked shots and one key pass.
The Toros return to H-E-B Park on Saturday, May 18. RGV FC will host LA Galaxy II on Military Night (TICKETS). Kickoff will be at 7:30 p.m. CT. The match will be available on ESPN+ and updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: RGV FC - Foster 71'; PHX - Jahn 16', Jahn 28' (PK), Musa 69'.
PHX - Lubin, Cochran, Farrell, Dumbuya, Dia, Lambert, Musa, Bakero, Jahn (Spencer 81'), Flemmings (Aguinaga 75'), Calistri.
Subs: Mala, Vega, Bjornethun, Ledbetter, Woszczynki.
Stats: Shots: 10, Shots on Goal: 5, Saves: 5, Fouls: 11, Corner Kicks: 4, Offsides: 2.
RGV FC - Nelson, Donovan, Adams, Coronado, Samuels, Hernandez, Martinez, W. Cabrera (Arcila 78'), Foster (Lemoine 75'), Enriquez, Salazar (Small 79').
Subs: Corti, Castellanos, Mena, Dunwell.
Stats: Shots: 18, Shots on Goal: 5, Saves: 2, Fouls: 8, Corner Kicks: 3, Offsides: 1.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 11, 2019
- Reno Defeats Sacramento Republic FC 4-1 - Reno 1868 FC
- Switchbacks FC Lost to Las Vegas Lights FC 3-0 on Saturday Night - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Falls to Louisville City FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Continues Unbeaten Streak at Home with 0-0 Draw vs. Orange County Sc - San Antonio FC
- Independence Blighted by Loudoun - Charlotte Independence
- Battery Draw 0-0 in Defensive Battle against St. Louis FC - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Win 3-1 against Charlotte Independence on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville SC Blitzes Swope Park Rangers 5-1 at First Tennessee Park: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- STLFC Draws 0-0 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Lights FC Highlights of the Week - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Bethlehem Steel FC - Atlanta United 2
- Phoenix Rising Stays Perfect on $1 Beer Night Following 3-1 Win over Rio Grande Valley - Phoenix Rising FC
- Toros Upset by Rising - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.