Reno Defeats Sacramento Republic FC 4-1
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Reno 1868 FC came out on top against Sacramento Republic FC at Papa Murphy's Park on Saturday night. The 4-1 victory improved Reno's record to 4-2-4 and put the club in the top three of the USL Championship Western Conference standings with 16 points.
"Definitely a really good win on the road," head coach Ian Russell said. "Both teams had some really good chances, we just ended up finishing ours. We scored some good goals tonight."
Sacramento's only goal came in the first half when defender Michell Taintor scored from deep in the 12th minute.
Reno didn't remain down for long. In the 24th minute forward Corey Hertzog had a precision-packed one touch finish after a cross from Brent Richards to level the score.
In the 31st minute it was forward Brian Brown who gave Reno the lead. After Sacramento's clearance was deflected by Lindo Mfeka, Mfeka was able to gain control of the ball and find Brown on the run who then found the back of the net. The goal was Brown's sixth of the season,
Sacramento had opportunities to equalize early in the second half, but ultimately couldn't find the back of the net again for the remainder of the match while Reno did.
In the 83rd minute, midfielder Raúl Mendiola scored his second goal of the season after a ball from Brian Brown. The assist was Brown's fourth of the season. Four minutes later, Hertzog scored his second goal of the match after a perfect cross from Duke Lacroix. Hertzog now has four goals in two matches.
"The two goals don't matter as long as we get the win, and it was a good win" Hertzog said. "It was good coming out here, the fans are great, just a really big three points for us."
Reno will be back at Papa Murphy's Park on Wednesday to play Sacramento in the Second Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The club will return home again on June 1st to host Las Vegas Lights in the first match of the Silver State Cup. For tickets, visit Reno1868FC.com or the Greater Nevada ticket office.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (18) JT Marcinkowski, D (5) Zach Carroll ©, D (2) Emrah Klimenta, D (16) Brent Richards,
D (11) Duke Lacroix, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (10) Lindo Mfeka, M (8) Will Seymore, M (40) Raúl Mendiola, F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (99) Brian Brown
GK (1) Dominik Jakubek, M (19) Kevin Partida, M (97) Sergio Rivas, M (23) Sam Gleadle, D (3) Benjamin Galindo Cruz, F (9) Danny Musovski, F (17) Aidan Apodaca
61' Kevin Partida in, Will Seymore out
71' Sergio Rivas in, Lindo Mfeka out
90' Danny Musovski in, Corey Hertzog out
51' Yellow for Lindo Mfeka
80' Yellow for Corey Hertzog
24' Corey Hertzog assisted by Brent Richards
31' Brian Brown assisted by Lindo Mfeka
83' Raúl Mendiola assisted by Brian Brown
87' Corey Hertzog assisted by Duke Lacroix
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 11, 2019
- Reno Defeats Sacramento Republic FC 4-1 - Reno 1868 FC
- Switchbacks FC Lost to Las Vegas Lights FC 3-0 on Saturday Night - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Falls to Louisville City FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Continues Unbeaten Streak at Home with 0-0 Draw vs. Orange County Sc - San Antonio FC
- Independence Blighted by Loudoun - Charlotte Independence
- Battery Draw 0-0 in Defensive Battle against St. Louis FC - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Win 3-1 against Charlotte Independence on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Nashville SC Blitzes Swope Park Rangers 5-1 at First Tennessee Park: Nissan Recap - Nashville SC
- STLFC Draws 0-0 against Charleston Battery - Saint Louis FC
- Lights FC Highlights of the Week - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Bethlehem Steel FC - Atlanta United 2
- Phoenix Rising Stays Perfect on $1 Beer Night Following 3-1 Win over Rio Grande Valley - Phoenix Rising FC
- Toros Upset by Rising - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.