Legion FC Shuts Out Vegas in Draw
BIRMINGHAM, AL - Birmingham Legion FC and Las Vegas Lights FC played out a 0-0 draw that was full of strong defensive plays and scoring opportunities for the home side. The Three Sparks peppered the opposition goal with 18 total shots, but none were able to find the back of the net.
The first half saw Legion FC come out on the front foot, testing Las Vegas goalkeeper Abraham Romero on multiple occasions. Birmingham forward Enzo Martinez was the closest to opening the scoring for the good guys after deftly beating his defender to create space to shoot, but Romero managed to come up with the stop.
Legion FC came out of the break with ramped up intensity and a continued attacking mindset, bringing on forwards Juan Agudelo and Edi Horvat in the hopes of breaking the deadlock. A slew of corner kicks at the start of second half, three shots by Agudelo after coming on, and five total on the night from midfielder Prosper Kasim led the way for a Birmingham side continuing to create quality chances.
"First and foremost, it's being able to create chances," said defender Jonny Dean. "In all fault, we have differing guys up top, besides me and Peezy [Kasim], and the chemistry there, but once we start to get the goals coming it'll be a different story. We score one early, get two, and it turns into three goals. As long as we keep performing and creating those chances, especially now, hopefully by the end of the season we'll be hot.
Midfielder Prosper Kasim seemed poised to capitalize on his side's increased pressure in the 80th minute, but his attempt cannoned off the crossbar. BHM would continue to apply pressure going forward, and was unable to find a winner, but secured a second straight shutout at home.
"There's a few games where we lost, and we knew our performance was not good enough," said Dean. "Especially for the standard we hold ourselves to, we talked about the last ten games, and we looked at it, and it's just not where we're supposed to be with the caliber team we have. And that's everybody taking ownership and pride going into it. This one tonight hurts, especially because we wanted three points in front of our home crowd, but it's going to come."
Head Coach Tommy Soehn when asked about the great crowd tonight at Protective Stadium: "This was an amazing crowd tonight. They were loud, they were engaged, and for that I'm disappointed we couldn't get them a win. But they also saw a group that was really committed to trying to win it. You can't win them all, but it was an amazing atmosphere."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 19, 2022
- Academy Update: Sacramento's Youth Sides Have Playoff Berth in Their Sights - Sacramento Republic FC
- New York Red Bulls II Sign Midfielder Adam Najem to a 25-Day Contract - New York Red Bulls II
- Midfielder Matt LaGrassa Visits Future Computer Science Pros - Sacramento Republic FC
- El Paso Locomotive Youth Academy to Compete in Inaugural US Youth Soccer National League Elite 64 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Pro Team, RDA Reintroduce Pathway Program - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- NYRB II Falls to Hartford Athletic, 3-2 - New York Red Bulls II
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Hosts El Paso Locomotive FC - Orange County SC
- Big Dev Is Back New Mexico United Re-Sign Club's First Player, Devon Sandoval - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Signs Jordy Delem for 2022 Season - San Antonio FC
- El Paso Locomotive Surpasses Sacramento Republic, 1-0 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Republic FC Loses 1-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Legion FC Shuts Out Vegas in Draw - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes a Commanding 5-0 Win Over La Galaxy II - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- Jonny Dean Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Legion FC Dominates in 2-0 Win at New Mexico
- Match Preview: Legion FC at New Mexico United - Saturday, June 25
- Alabama Native Jake Rufe Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Legion FC Beats Memphis with Stoppage Time Goal