Republic FC Loses 1-0
El Paso, Texas - Republic FC fall 1-0 to El Paso Locomotive FC in a mid-week showdown to close out the matchups in the 2022 regular season. It's the club's first loss since visiting Rio Grande Valley Toros FC on April 23rd.
After opening the match on the front foot, the match would remain deadlocked until El Paso would punch in their first shot on target off their seventh corner kick. Republic FC would play the final ten minutes with 10 men after Douglas Martinez was issued a straight ejection for violent conduct after being tackled to the ground by Locomotive FC's Yuma.
Sacramento started strong, putting pressure on the hosts with a collection of set-piece opportunities and chances from close range. After a 15th minute cross from Douglas Martinez was sent away, Rodrigo Lopez sent in more service from the right flank to Emil Cuello, whose header attempt went just high of the target. Republic FC tallied five corners in the first half but was unable to find the net in part due to excellent defending from the hosts.
Sacramento's Lee Desmond and Duke Lacroix neutralized El Paso in the attacking third throughout the first half. After a 2nd minute chance off a corner went high, the hosts put just seven touches on the ball in Sacramento's penalty area for the remainder of the first half, despite holding 64% of possession. For the match, Desmond and Lacroix combined to win 5 of 10 duels and tally three clearances.
El Paso opened things up in the second half, finding a pair of great chances moments after the break. The hosts nearly broke the stalemate at the hour mark, finding themselves with numbers in the penalty area. But a dangerous close-range attempt from Dylan Mares was sent away by Lee Desmond, keeping things scoreless.
The hosts were provided another excellent opportunity just 12 minutes later when Rodrigo Lopez took down Diego Luna just outside the penalty area. After Richie Ryan's shot attempt was deflected out for a corner, Andrew Fox would break the tie. A great save from Danny Vitiello kept out the midfielder's initial play on the ball, but Fox punched through the follow up to put his club up 1-0.
El Paso's score put a jolt into Republic FC, who answered with two strong chances. However, the club was unable to put either on target. Sacramento's attackers were unable to put service in from Jack Gurr on frame, allowing El Paso to maintain their advantage. An effort in the closing seconds of the match from Luther Archimede would go just to the right of the goal before the final whistle sounded.
Sacramento returns home following the contest to prepare for U.S. Open Cup action. On Wednesday, May 25, the club faces off against San Jose Earthquakes in the Indomitable Club's first-ever Round of 16 home match. Kickoff for the elimination match is set for 7:30 PM, and tickets are available at SacRepublicFC.com/single-match-tickets. The match will be broadcast on ESPN+.
Sacramento Republic FC 0 - 1 El Paso Locomotive FC
Southwest University Park, El Paso, Texas
May 18, 2022
Scoring Summary: SAC- None ELP - Andrew Fox (Dylan Mares) 75'
Misconduct Summary: SAC - Rodrigo Lopez (caution) 31', Luis Felipe (caution) 72' Douglas Martinez (ejection) 81' ELP - Luis Solignac (caution) 45+1', Diego Luna (caution) 77', Yuma (caution) 82' Dylan Mares (caution) 89'
Sacramento Republic FC: Danny Vitiello, Conor Donovan, Lee Desmond, Dan Casey, Jack Gurr (Maalique Foster 87'), Duke Lacroix (Damia Viader 88'), Rodrigo Lopez (C), Luis Felipe, Douglas Martinez, Emil Cuello (Luther Archimede 71'), Zeiko Lewis (Keko Gontan 64')
Unused substitutes: Carlos Saldana, Ferrety Sousa, Mario Penagos
Stats - Shots: 6, Shots on Goal: 0, Saves: 1, Fouls: 9, Corner Kicks: 6, Offsides: 3
El Paso Locomotive FC: Evan Newton, Eder Borelli, Yuma (C), Matt Bahner (Nicholas Hinds 79'), Louis Herrera (Shavon John-Brown 41'), Diego Luna, Eric Calvillo (Richie Ryan 45'), Dylan Mares, Cristiano François (Andrew Fox 66'), Luis Solignac, Josue Gomez (Ricardo Zacarias 79')
Unused substitutes: Phillip Beigl, Joel Maldonado
Stats - Shots: 13, Shots on Goal: 2, Saves: 0, Fouls: 12, Corner Kicks: 8, Offsides: 2
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 19, 2022
- Academy Update: Sacramento's Youth Sides Have Playoff Berth in Their Sights - Sacramento Republic FC
- New York Red Bulls II Sign Midfielder Adam Najem to a 25-Day Contract - New York Red Bulls II
- Midfielder Matt LaGrassa Visits Future Computer Science Pros - Sacramento Republic FC
- El Paso Locomotive Youth Academy to Compete in Inaugural US Youth Soccer National League Elite 64 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Pro Team, RDA Reintroduce Pathway Program - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- NYRB II Falls to Hartford Athletic, 3-2 - New York Red Bulls II
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Hosts El Paso Locomotive FC - Orange County SC
- Big Dev Is Back New Mexico United Re-Sign Club's First Player, Devon Sandoval - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Signs Jordy Delem for 2022 Season - San Antonio FC
- El Paso Locomotive Surpasses Sacramento Republic, 1-0 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Republic FC Loses 1-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Legion FC Shuts Out Vegas in Draw - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes a Commanding 5-0 Win Over La Galaxy II - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Academy Teams Close out Season with Strong Performances at MLS Next Cup & Showcase
- Sacramento Republic FC Blanked by Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Match Preview: Republic FC v Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Know Your Opponent: Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Sacramento U15's Advance to MLS NEXT Cup Semifinals