Academy Update: Sacramento's Youth Sides Have Playoff Berth in Their Sights
For the second year in a row, Republic FC's youth teams are gearing up for the chance at hardware in youth soccer's most prestigious competition.
This past weekend, Republic FC's U15 and U19 squads took to Maryland for the MLS NEXT Flex tournament, pitting them against clubs from across the country. Sacramento's top age group took on three squads in group play - LA United FC, Springfield SYC, and their counterparts from Rio Grande Valley FC. Republic FC took two wins and split points once, finishing the tournament with seven points and as the champions of Group P to earn an automatic berth to the MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs.
The U15 squad ended the tournament just a point out of the top spot in their group, taking wins over Florida Rush and Southern Soccer academy, but falling to FC United. Their road to the postseason is not yet over, however; they still have a chance to qualify through their results in league play, which wraps up the first week of June. Should they finish their season at the top of the Northwest Division, they'll get an automatic berth and a chance to represent their club on the national stage alongside the U19 side. The same is true for Sacramento's U17 squad, which can punch their playoff ticket with a victory in one of their final two league matches against Breakers FC and Ballistic United.
Just 64 teams from each age group qualified for MLS NEXT Flex, which grants clubs an additional player identification platform and an opportunity to claim a playoff berth outright before the end of their league schedules. Only 16 teams claimed a MLS NEXT Cup playoffs berth through tournament, and Republic FC was the only U19 squad representing a USL Championship club to claim top honors in their group.
Last season, Republic FC's U15, U17, and U19 squads each qualified for the MLS NEXT Cup playoffs, with the U17 and U19 teams reaching the semifinal stage before being eliminated. Republic FC was the only club to advance more than one team to the penultimate stage of the tournament. This season's MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs are currently set to be held from June 25 to July 3 at the Toyota Soccer Center in Frisco, Texas.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 19, 2022
- Academy Update: Sacramento's Youth Sides Have Playoff Berth in Their Sights - Sacramento Republic FC
- New York Red Bulls II Sign Midfielder Adam Najem to a 25-Day Contract - New York Red Bulls II
- Midfielder Matt LaGrassa Visits Future Computer Science Pros - Sacramento Republic FC
- El Paso Locomotive Youth Academy to Compete in Inaugural US Youth Soccer National League Elite 64 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Pro Team, RDA Reintroduce Pathway Program - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- NYRB II Falls to Hartford Athletic, 3-2 - New York Red Bulls II
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Hosts El Paso Locomotive FC - Orange County SC
- Big Dev Is Back New Mexico United Re-Sign Club's First Player, Devon Sandoval - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Signs Jordy Delem for 2022 Season - San Antonio FC
- El Paso Locomotive Surpasses Sacramento Republic, 1-0 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Republic FC Loses 1-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Legion FC Shuts Out Vegas in Draw - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes a Commanding 5-0 Win Over La Galaxy II - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Academy Teams Close out Season with Strong Performances at MLS Next Cup & Showcase
- Sacramento Republic FC Blanked by Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Match Preview: Republic FC v Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Know Your Opponent: Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Sacramento U15's Advance to MLS NEXT Cup Semifinals