Big Dev Is Back New Mexico United Re-Sign Club's First Player, Devon Sandoval
New Mexico United is thrilled to announce the re-signing of forward Albuquerque-native Devon Sandoval, the club's first player, first goalscorer, and all-time appearances leader, following his incredible effort to recover from heart issues in 2021. Sandoval has been a force for United since the club's inception, leading Black & Yellow through the club's first three seasons. The signing is pending league and federation approval.
"I've worked really hard to get to this point where I can step on the field again," said Sandoval. "I'm extremely grateful for the experiences I've had, what I've learned the past seven months, and to the people that have helped me get to this point. To continue playing this game is a gift and I can't wait to be back on the field with you all again."
Sandoval is a graduate of El Dorado High School and the University of New Mexico. He was the first signing, announced when the club was in 2018. Sandoval has been a champion, a captain, a community advocate, and a leader. He has scored 25 goals in all competitions for New Mexico United, and assisted another seven. He is United's all-time appearances leader (79), and has played more than 5,500 minutes for the club.
In 2019, Sandoval came home - scoring the first goal in New Mexico United history, the first playoff goal in club history, the club's first goal against MLS opposition, earning United's Offensive MVP award, and leading United to a playoff berth in their first season. In 2020, he was named a captain, scored a goal of the week and goal of the month, and led United to the Conference semifinals. 2021 saw Sandoval named a captain once again.
Sandoval will be available for questions from the media at today's press conference at noon at the New Mexico United Training Facility.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 19, 2022
- Academy Update: Sacramento's Youth Sides Have Playoff Berth in Their Sights - Sacramento Republic FC
- New York Red Bulls II Sign Midfielder Adam Najem to a 25-Day Contract - New York Red Bulls II
- Midfielder Matt LaGrassa Visits Future Computer Science Pros - Sacramento Republic FC
- El Paso Locomotive Youth Academy to Compete in Inaugural US Youth Soccer National League Elite 64 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Pro Team, RDA Reintroduce Pathway Program - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- NYRB II Falls to Hartford Athletic, 3-2 - New York Red Bulls II
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Hosts El Paso Locomotive FC - Orange County SC
- Big Dev Is Back New Mexico United Re-Sign Club's First Player, Devon Sandoval - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Signs Jordy Delem for 2022 Season - San Antonio FC
- El Paso Locomotive Surpasses Sacramento Republic, 1-0 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Republic FC Loses 1-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Legion FC Shuts Out Vegas in Draw - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes a Commanding 5-0 Win Over La Galaxy II - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United's June 22nd Match vs RGV Toros FC Postponed Until July 6th, Due to Weather
- New Mexico United Announces Launch of First Financial Training Center
- Exceeding Ordinary, Defying Expectation
- New Mexico United U-23 Announces Two Signings to Inaugural Roster
- New Mexico United U-23 Announces Three Signings to Inaugural Roster